Author Topic: Need some advice changing body mounts  (Read 7962 times)

Offline jldominguez

Need some advice changing body mounts
« on: March 02, 2011, 10:02:23 PM »
Hi All,

New guy from Texas. 

I have a 1985 Suburban K10 Silverado that I'm trying to replace the old body mounts.  I've already identified a couple of  challenges:

1.  The rear bolts by the rear wheels are spot welded. So the spot welds will have to be cut to allow the bolt to slide up. I'll probably just replace the bolts.

2.  Once I loosened all the bolts, I couldn't budge the body from the frame.

Is there anything else I need to loosen or unbolt to allow the clearance to remove the old and slide in the new?   Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
JL

Offline Da67goatman

• Site Supporters
  • Burban
Re: Need some advice changing body mounts
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:11:49 PM »
This is what I did:  Once all the bolts are loosened, take one side completely out, and use a floor jack and a long 4x4 to lift that side of the body just enough to to get the old out and new in.  Then put that side bolts back in, but leave em loose, repeat on other side and finally torque all bolts when finished.  i changed the core support bushings like a year prior, and then didn't have to loosen them up at all to replace the rest.  Don't lift the body too high or stuff starts binding and bending and ripping etc.
<Pitcrew>
1989 R2500 Suburban mild 350 TBI 700r4 10.5" 14bolt 4.10 w/ 33s
1992 fullsize Blazer 4x4  35s no lift, 4.10s, Hella driving lights, TJ Flares, Huge bumpers, Snorkel, custom interior

Offline jldominguez

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 10:18:04 PM »
Are there any other bolts other than the mount bolts that need to be loosened?  Once I loosened all the bolts I couldn't get the body to budge.   

Thx
JL

Offline Da67goatman

• Site Supporters
  • Burban
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 10:45:53 PM »
body mounts bolts are pretty much the only thing holding it down, other than gravity.  The floor jack should separate the body from the frame, but the bolts have to be out on that side and loose on the other side.  Don't take both sides out, cause the body might shift and it would be almost impossible to realign the mounts.  Use the piece of wood the spread the load out over a good area, I used a 2x6 roughly 3 ft long under the front door opening and jacked it up till it separated enough to replace the bushings with my new red poly ones.  The suspension will unload a little when you get close to lifting the body, then they should separate.
<Pitcrew>
1989 R2500 Suburban mild 350 TBI 700r4 10.5" 14bolt 4.10 w/ 33s
1992 fullsize Blazer 4x4  35s no lift, 4.10s, Hella driving lights, TJ Flares, Huge bumpers, Snorkel, custom interior

Offline Ben_Greenberg

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 08:44:18 PM »
Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I just replaced 5 out of 6 body mount bushings on my 78 c15 heavy half, and the 6th one the bolt would just turn and turn. I'm afraid that whatever the threaded portion is that the bolt is threaded into has rusted enough that when I was loosening the bolt it broke off.

For reference, I am referring to the mount right below the drivers side door hinge.

What can I do here? Do I need to cut a chunk of the floor out and weld on a new nut from up top then install the bushing the normal way from the bottom? Is there any way to access what the bolt threads into without cutting?

Any suggestions and help is appreciated!

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 11:25:47 AM »
What can I do here? Do I need to cut a chunk of the floor out and weld on a new nut from up top then install the bushing the normal way from the bottom? Is there any way to access what the bolt threads into without cutting?

Yes you will need to cut a hole, that nut is captured and there is no way to get to it without cutting a hole.