Author Topic: anyone need some tips?  (Read 9995 times)

Offline camel

anyone need some tips?
« on: July 12, 2001, 06:18:00 PM »
well i have had some stereo's in my 85 gmc sierra regular cab, any suggestions or help with box sizes, send me a e-mail. i'd love to help you out, and get some posts in here.

cameldoggz@hotmail.com

adam

Offline ChevyGuy

• Frequent Member
What do you want
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2001, 12:19:00 AM »
Did you cut out the hole for the rectangle reciever? Do you want subs, 6x9's, little smaller speakers? Tell me what you want and i can most likely help. I have a big system in my truck. I have a box as big as a bench seat.... and 2 12's with a 655 Boss amp, 2 6x9's and 2 3x10's. Ill help but i need to know what you want.

Offline camel

its all good man
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2001, 05:41:00 PM »
i was tryin to get some activity in here, i got 2 tens behind my seat, nothing bigger will fit. they are jlw0's. i have 2 pioneer 6.5's in the doors, and infinity perfect 3.5's in the dash, it sounds awesome. i have a kenwood deck, and i have a phoenixgold xs 2200 amp. it souds great, not really loud, but i love it. i want some mmats pro 12's and male a cutout for them, or just some pro 10's if u could get some of them?

chevy502silver

how'd u cut it
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2001, 10:44:00 PM »
i just got a 85 chevy it came with the 2 knob radio i got a sony cd receiver and i have a space any help would eb good. and there's no speaker mounts behind the seat what should i do  thanks

Offline camel

Re: how'd u cut it
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2001, 09:05:00 PM »
well i made a cardboard template then traced it onto the dash and cut the plastic after i removed it from the dash, then i did the same for the metal dash underneath, a die grinder works awesome. then u make sure she fits with the little basket that it fits into and put it back together, it took me some grinding to make her perfect an i really like it. just takes some time, then for the support in the back on the old factory peice u can bolt that to your cd deck for support, i just bent mine by hand a little bit. and now it looks like it came from gm like that. if u have any questions about my crap directions, send another post.

Offline 78KustomKlassic

• New Users
Re: hacking the dash
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2001, 10:01:00 AM »
I just put a new CD player in my 78 and used a kit from Crutchfield.  They provided a metal template/trim piece that made cutting the dash really easy.  www.crutchfield.com

Edited by: 78KustomKlassic at: 7/24/01 3:03:47 pm

Offline ChevyGuy

• Frequent Member
What i had
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2001, 02:47:00 PM »
All you need is a white marker and a hack saw blade.... or if you are a more power person you can use a air powered saw saw. I took the outside metal casing and took the marker and marked it on the outside but i made sure all the holes and stuff were inside the area i was cutting. The top and bottom of the stereo should be the same hieght as the 2 prong radio or almost and just cut and fold the sides of the metal and the sides hold the stereo in place and the plastic after you get the hole cut pull the plastic dash cover off and cut that where you need it. Real simple.

Offline camel

Re: What i had
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2001, 04:57:00 PM »
chevy guy said it. why spend time and money waiting for crutchfield. there prices suck anyways. when your done you will be kicking yourself cause its soo dang easy. i liked the die grinder for cutting, a hack saw would work too. pretty well anything that cuts metal. just take yer time and follow your lines.

Offline EdelBrock350

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2001, 10:37:00 PM »
I got tired of the 2 knob fm/tape.i have boxed behind the setes and am gona put some speakers in the dash.i cut my own hole for the cd player to fit and i love it.

Offline camel

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2001, 12:20:00 PM »
and it was easy to do too eh? i suggest 3.5 inch speakers in your dash, and put some 6.5's int he doors. and a sub behind the seat if u want something there. but go in the door for speakers, its a great spot and u get good sound out of there.  

Offline EdelBrock350

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2001, 04:45:00 PM »
it was so easy to put the bigger stereo in the dash...how would i keep the spekers in the doors dry and how do i get them in there?

Offline camel

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2001, 06:16:00 PM »
you have to make a 3/4" spacer or a little ring or pod so they have enough room to fit in there, and then make the whole and run the wires in the door. running wires in the dorr was a little trick, but i drilled a hole in the hinge and there was a hole in the door already then i snake'd it through and hooked it up. my speaker is just in the bottom front corner of the plastic on the door. to cut the plastic i drilled it out and then cut it with a die grinder i think. it worked pretty good, u could just use the drill and knock off the little bits that are still on it. i really should get some pics to post of my instal. it really sounds an lools great. umm i am sure i am off topic and beat around the bush and didn;t do anything to help u anwser your question. but all ya do is cut the hole for the speaker to fit, and make a spacer thats 3/4" thick. then u screw it all to the plastic on the door. and then u put the grill on it and it works awesome, it does take a little time, but u get the best sound. and its an awesome easy custom job u can do yourself. most 6.5 inch speakers can get a little wet. like a drop here and there i mean that happens. and the inside of the door i sealed but if u do get water in there u can get those speakers baffles at walmart to just put on the back to protect them. never tried em, but they look like they would work ok.

davidv851

Aftermarket installation
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2002, 10:29:00 PM »
here's what i did on my truck, as i didn't like how it looked where the stock radio was. While this did take some time, the new position made it easier to access the radio functions while driving. I installed it in the cut-out for the center AC vent. This meant removing the entire air duct, so instead i got a 3" flexible tube (I got it from Home Depot, i think they said it was for a dryer vent. It was thin metal and could be contorted to fit where i needed it). Anyway, after all was said and done, the stereo went in without much effort after that, though i did have to re-wire parts of the harness to reach the new spot.  

cysq01

CHevy502silver, your help is here!
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2002, 03:17:00 PM »
Just cut the dash behind the bezel.  Bend the shaft holes back because you can always put a shaft style back in later that way.  Cut the bezel too.  For rear speaker mounts?  No problem!  Take some angle iron and drill holes in it and mount your speakers in boxes that way.  If you have the factory 4x10's then I feel sorry for you.  I can't help, but Crutchfield can.  For $99 you can get a pair of 4x10's and they sound pretty good for what they're worth.  Good luck and send me a text only message to 6053216967@vtext.com to tell me how it goes. Thanx

Offline matthuber

dash-cutting
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2003, 04:48:00 AM »
My expirience with installing DIN-style stereos in truck dashes has taught me 3 things:

1. Use a Dremel with a reinforced cutting wheel for the most precise results.

2. It's easiest with 2 people doing the work (one lining things up from the outside and one hooking up a bracket or hanger underneath the dash)

3. Use the "sleeve" the stereo slides into for your pattern, it's an exact fit.