Author Topic: newb w/ pics..... UPDATED 3-24  (Read 12072 times)

Offline OutFoxed

newb w/ pics..... UPDATED 3-24
« on: March 14, 2008, 10:00:11 AM »
Just picked up this badboy yesterday after weeks and weeks of truck searching.  Pretty much bought it as a roller as the seller stated it needed a motor due to some overheating issues. 

Out of all the trucks I saw in person and on the web, this one by far was in way better condition compared to what I had seen for the price. 

It is pretty much a one owner truck,  I bought it from a family who bought it for there 17yr old.  They only had it for a little over a month, and parked it after it overheated. 

I'll go over it this weekend and hopefully find something minimal.  I've only checked the oils and dont see any water in them.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:36:57 PM by OutFoxed »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: newb w/ pics
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 10:23:51 AM »
Looks like a clean start.

Offline 197

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 04:55:58 PM »
Nice fine! How much was it?
'73 C20 454

Offline jonkmbll89

• Registered Users
  • 85 Chevy Silverado C10 swb 5.7/350
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 05:38:53 PM »
welcome, nice truck
GET IN, SIT DOWN, SHUTUP, AND HANG ON

Offline team39763

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 05:49:10 PM »
Nice truck....reminds me of mine when I first bought it.

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 05:57:54 PM »
Welcome! Looks like a good starting point. Isn't amazing to see how high the stock 2wd trucks are? At first glance, I thought it was a 4x4. I think the wheels had something to do with it. After seeing/owning  them lowered, a stock one just looks wrong. Lorne

Offline Bubba13

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 08:31:40 PM »
Nice truck. I can see that one with a blower and huge back tires running in the 10's
Watch where you're going, remember where you've been...

Offline Dragon

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 12:10:25 AM »
Congrats with the Great Start 8), Personally I would replace the hoses,Radiator Cap(Simple yes, but you would be suprised at how many people don't know to replace it at proper intervals, or even use the Correct Replacement!!!)& the T-stat, then give it a Cooling System Flush....  Don't just drain and refill the Coolant, completely Flush the Old out, along with any Crud, seperate the Heater Core from the rest of the System, to give it a througho Flush itself, and then Refill the System....  Be Prepared, it can be as simple as just needing the Full Flush,Hoses,T-stat, or you may need to replace the Water Pump & Gaskets....  Watch or inspect the Radiator for any signs of a Leak(s) there, especially the side Tanks/Coolers(A simple Pin hole will be a Night Mare tring to diagnos, or find for that matter)...   

Also out of curiosity, what signs did it have that it was overheating, or did it actually start to steam???  Reason why I ask, I have had plenty experience of people just depending on their temp gauge/light, only to find out it was a Faulty Sensor/Relay/Light/Gauge....

Good Luck with your New Project, and Welcome!
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows
96 GMC ECLWB & 92 Chevy ECLWB
77 GMC K25 HS-Gone but Not Forgotten

Offline Bowtie Bomber

• Registered Users
  • Rolling American Iron
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 12:19:06 AM »
It is pretty much a one owner truck,  I bought it from a family who bought it for there 17yr old.  They only had it for a little over a month, and parked it after it overheated. 
They probably put the thermostat in backwards :D. Happens all the time where I'm from. I'd just take all the hoses off, flush the radiator, get a new thermostat and put back together and be done with it. Should be no overheating after that.

Nice truck though! What's the specs on it?
My truck is my flying fortress, the road is my sky, and Toyota's are the enemy bunkers that need a busting.

Offline OutFoxed

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 07:12:58 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.... 

I paid $1700 for the truck, which I think was a decent price for the condition of it.  These body style trucks are pricey here in Texas. 

So I tooled around with it and believe it may need an engine, but thats my opinion and I'm no mechanic.  When I checked the fluids, oil was normal color, and tranny fluid was also.  Checked the water level and noticed it was empty, proceeded to add water and it started pouring out from the water pump.  So I replace the W/P and finally get it started, shows good water flow.  Then I check the oil again and its milky!!!!  May be a head gasket, may be the block dont know.  I'm just going to let my mech take a look and make the call. 

Offline OutFoxed

Re: newb w/ pics..... UPDATED 3-24
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 09:49:12 PM »
Well it needed a rebuild..... But instead of rebuilding the 305, we dropped a bored, cammed, and stroked 350 shortblock with some ported and polished iron heads.  The engine was originally intended from my buddys 86swb but he aquired a LS-Juan and I scooped up the deal on his unused engine.  Just waiting to get the exhaust done, currently just sitting with some open headers!!!!   Got a hold of some rallys and a different center grill.  New pics of truck and interior.  Interior isnt the best out there, but I've seen a lot worse.

Offline Redneckchevy

• Photo Bucket
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 09:56:37 PM »
$1700???  Thats it?????   i would throw $1700 and start dancing like a fool if i found a deal like that..Even if it didnt have a engine at all i would be doing the hillbilly shuffle!
1986 Chevrolet K10 Swb "Women love the hood scoop"
1997 Chevrolet K10 Lwb "Dunno what women love"

Offline OutFoxed

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 09:57:12 PM »
I probably wont sink any more money into it till after my Mustang is finished, been sitting for over a 1 1/2 years.  But what I'm planning is some candy or pearl traditional (red,orange,white) colored flames over  suede/flat black paint a 3/5 drop and some deep dish 15x10 rallys out back and some 15x8 in the front.  At least thats the vision I have now!!!

Offline OutFoxed

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 10:00:47 PM »
$1700???  Thats it?????   i would throw $1700 and start dancing like a fool if i found a deal like that..Even if it didnt have a engine at all i would be doing the hillbilly shuffle!
$1700 Thats It!!!!!  I thought it was a heck of a deal for the shape. 

I did do a little shuffle after I heard the new heart fire up!!!!!!!   

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 10:49:59 PM »
Nice rig, good deal too.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs