Author Topic: 1984 Chevy C10 LWB Project.  (Read 7423 times)

Offline Broken84C10

1984 Chevy C10 LWB Project.
« on: November 09, 2014, 09:19:41 PM »
 Hi everyone, this site was first on the list when I searched for stuff for my truck, and it been helpful already.

I just picked up a 1984 Chevy c10 long bed last week. Its got a 350 and a 700r4 in it, its 2wd, and it seems to be a base model, with no ac, no badges, no trim and no headliner. Its a bit of a beater.

I used to see it driving around town, but then it was parked off of a main street where I live. I drove by it everyday, and kept telling the guys I work with that I need to talk to the guy that owns it, and buy it. One day after selling another vehicle, I was browsing kijiji, and found a blue c10 that was local, and when I checked the address it was the same truck. It was cheap enough, but it has a big problem. Its got a broken frame. So I low balled the guy, and he came back with an agreeable price. So now the broken framed c10 is mine lol. This is what it looks like. I straightened it out a bit before these pics.

The previous owner bolted on a plate to get it movable I guess, but only on one side. I found a large piece of square tubing, jacked it up and had my brother stand on the rear bumper and welded it to the bottom of the frame, so it wont flex more. Thats not my fix though, thats just so I can move it in and out of the alley.

The big reason I still bought it was the frame is not too bad, its like the water coming through the crack between the bed and the cab washed the undercoating off, and it rotted out. The engine must have leaked alot of oil for a long time because the fronts super nice and oilly, and the rear is in decent shape too, crusty, but not brutal. Theres half a foot thats real rusty, maybe a foot thats bad. So I think maybe mother nature just wants me to make it a short bed.

Anyways, thats my Chevy, I will get some interior pictures up, and some engine and underside pics. The engine runs MINT, I have a 6.0 for it but I am really falling in love with this engine. I swear I could swap it with my dads Lincolns engine and he wouldnt notice.

Offline Broken84C10

Re: 1984 Chevy C10 LWB Project.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 06:04:52 AM »
 I finally got around to taking some other pictures. I havent done a whole lot to it, I just took the valve covers off to change the gaskets and re-painted them, I also took out the buckets that were in it and put in the OG bench. While doing that I ground down the rust on the passenger floor, the drivers sides fiberglass lol, and then I painted it with some black rust paint for now. I want to paint it blue like it would have been, but after I weld a patch in the drivers side.

Of course I forgot to take any picture of that, but heres some more of how it looked when I got it.

Like the horn LOL

Shocks and window seals that came with it.

Lowering spindles

So if I get off work early enough I`ll get some shots of what I have done, but it might not be until this weekend.

Thanks for looking!

Offline Broken84C10

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 10:57:47 AM »
 Well I have been busy with work and Christmas crap but I have got a lot done to my C10. 

I hated the crappy flat black two tone so I re did it alittle higher in white. I like how it looks, changed the truck attitude. Its also sitting alittle higher because I pulled the 350, I got to thinking that I bought the truck to swap my 6.0 in so just freaking do it.

I gave the 6.0 a quick coat of paint.

I ordered and received some engine mount adapters, and a spacer to fit the 700r4 on the 6.0

I also picked up a nicer rad support. Mine was missing the bottom 6"

Right not I am cleaning and painting all of the front end parts so the engine bay looks nice. Then hopefully today I will put the engine in.

Offline Jason S

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 05:01:45 PM »
From the photo, it looks much better with the white on the bottom.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline Broken84C10

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 08:16:41 AM »
From the photo, it looks much better with the white on the bottom.

Thanks man, I am not a fan of black on the bottom, especially when its all faded.

I got the LQ4(6.0) in the truck yesterday It looks nice in there, I need to take pictures. My engine even had the spacer on the flywheel already, I never looked at the old 4x4 trans maybe someone swapped it out for an older one in the past.

Offline Jason S

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 08:43:16 AM »
When you get a chance, take some photos of the 6.0 L install.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline Broken84C10

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 05:02:44 PM »

Putting it in was easy. I like having a removable rad support.

Seems like the F-body headers will fit with a little trimming, like I have read other people on here have had to do.

I picked up Trans-dapt 1 inch set back mounts, and they fit fine, should have alot of fan clearance. I have yet to check the trans mount.

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 06:01:26 PM »
aw yeah 8)
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 08:50:40 AM »
Dixie horn in Canadia ?

Yikes that rust is crazy

Glad we dont get it like that much in Georgia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KojaK 79k10

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 10:31:13 AM »
Subd, you sure are moving along with that 6.0 swap!
77 Chevy swb "race truck"

*SOLD* 79' k10 Silverado SWB "Kojak"
truck is gone but not forgotten, worst thing I ever did was sell this truck and I regret it everyday.