Author Topic: slip over body panels  (Read 5643 times)

Offline the_legend_1981

• Frequent Member
slip over body panels
« on: August 13, 2007, 01:38:18 PM »
anyone have experience with these and how they last?  like rockers and cab corners?

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: slip over body panels
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 03:43:41 PM »
Don't waste your time. They will never line up, all they are is a band aid that creates more rust. The only way to fix rust is to cut it out and weld in a new piece.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 79apache

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 08:28:26 PM »
I 'll be using some fender arch panels here right shortly and welding is out, Pop rivets will have to do. Figure any benefit from cutting out most of the original cancered metal before popping them on??

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 10:22:13 AM »
why is welding out?  I would remove everything I can as far as rust goes and coat the inside with some rust inhibitive paint.  You could use panel adhesive too, but the tool is kinda expensive from what I understand.

Offline 79apache

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 10:12:38 PM »
Welding is out cause I have no skills that way, nor tools, nor buds who do, and I R to poor to pay for it.
Looks like somebody took a shotgun to the arches, I can grind 'em back but wonder if it might be better to cut out a bunch so as not to provide a place for moisture to hang. OR.. I could slather a bunch of silicone over both surfaces after a good coat of bedliner..??

The whole bed needs replaced but $$$s preclude that for now. The best "redneck body work" is what I am shooting for. Just something to hold me over for a couple years.

Panel adhesive,  have heard there is some that works well but can't see why steel rivets and a bit of body filler will not fill the bill. Am I missing something?

Not going for a show truck here, she is a working beast. Just looking for something that is not too embarrassing to drive.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 12:09:39 AM »
If you are going to rivet it I would bother with filler. It will crack and pop out along the joint in no time. I have done a few low budget jobs and just spaced the rivets evenly, then used seam sealer and wiped it down with lacquer thinner to smooth it up. The adhesive will last longer, and you can use filler over it. Use a thin grinding wheel 4" or so on and electric grinder to cutout the bad. Then cut you patch panel about 1/2 in bigger than the cut.You will need to use self tapping screws to hold it in place tight up against the old metal until it drys. NO SILICONE EVER IN BODY WORK!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 08:34:39 PM by Blazin »
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 02:18:08 PM »
I did the adhesive method recently on a cab corner. It worked well for me. I used metalized epoxy as my adhesive. The piece isn't structural or bears a lot of weight, so I think it would be fine.
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline 79apache

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 06:34:24 PM »
OK, the adhesive sounds interesting and less holes(for rivets) sounds good but I'm going to need a bit of schooling please.

Which adhesive would you recommend? 3M? Other?
Can a gun be found for less than $100? How would I go about clamping the fender arch panel? Or how many screws might be needed to clamp/hold it in place?
Should I remove most all of the original metal that will be replaced/covered with the new panel, including the lower radius of the arch?

Sorry to be a pain, sheet steel and rivets I understand, have used and gotten good service from over the years but this adhesive is all new to me.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 08:42:42 PM »
My gun, basically a glorified caulk gun with two plungers, was around $80.00. I can't remember the brand of adhesive, but last time I said it I think Chris named it in a reply. Any auto body panel adhesive will work, just make sure it fits the gun or visa versa.
 I would say a screw every 1" or so to clamp / hold it.
 If the lip of the arch is still solid I would leave it and glue to it then clamp it with vise grips. You will need to grind the two surfaces that will mate each other the achieve a mechanical bond with the adhesive.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 09:58:11 AM »
Fusor Glue is what I mentioned.  It is the only thing I have seen personally used.  There are more, though.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 05:41:12 PM »
Yeah what Chris said, Thats the stuff. I did some cab corners and a quarter / wheel arch. It worked slicker than you know what!

Offline 79apache

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 08:00:29 PM »
That is the brand NAPA carries is it not? I 'll give it a shot.

Thanks

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 10:38:32 PM »
I got mine from a speed shop / Big A store

Offline elegy_c10

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 11:57:55 AM »
someone tried putting these on my cab corners some time in my trucks life and now they look like crap

Offline chevyguy5894

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 07:05:53 PM »
They glued a panel on the S-10K truck on trucks.