Author Topic: bought the truck - premodded  (Read 7056 times)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: bought the truck - premodded
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 09:24:42 AM »
There is supposed to be a gasket under the reservior lid.
750cfm is way to big for a stock 305 or 350 for that matter.  Yes you can change all the squirter etc, but that is basically making it a smaller carb.

The thing on the manifold isn't hurting your engine, they should run fine with a complete set of emmissions.

What do the float levels look like on the current carb?

Offline roadrage41

• Frequent Member
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 02:05:55 PM »
thanks capt, ill try to get out to the boneyard before work and see if i can snag one.

that thing in the manifold is all thats left of the emission system, and the vacuum line isnt attached to it anymore (assuming it was vacuum and not a line from the charcoal canister....)

cant tell on the bowl levels yet, been doing this after i get off work (work 12 hours shifts on grave) and before i pass out, hopefully ill have time to look tomorrow since i dont work sunday nights. the whole things covered in fuel goo and dirt at the moment.
official go'fer/ broom pusher/ token fat guy of www.yatesefi.com

Offline roadrage41

• Frequent Member
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 10:25:42 PM »
ok the crap on the sight glasses wont come off, and theyre basically opaque. im pretty much just gonna plan on replacing the carb now.

my check hasnt cleared completely yet so i bought plugs and replaced those, truck started up without having to pump the gas, which is an improvement. got the master cylinder gasket, so the brake fluid leak is gone. the coolant leak isnt completely gone however, think its the gasket under the neck on the manifold.

Offline roadrage41

• Frequent Member
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 09:17:18 PM »
ok, timing is fine.

carbs too dang big, and my buddy says it needs rebuilt, which blatantly places it out of my realm of knowledge. im gonna pull it off and replace it with one of the remanned edelbrocks from summit. and probly rebuild it for the heck of it just to learn how to do it.

passenger side exhaust manifold is likely warped, the gaskets on them have been replaced, and id willing to bet they werent cold when they were removed. plus its got that dang part of the old emissions thing in line.

will the 90 dollar headers from summit fit correctly? and i mean spot perfect, the truck is stock ride height, i know theyre not the fanciest, but im gonna end up redoing the motor more than likely with a big block in the future.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-G9006&N=700+4294925045+4294908171+4294908134+4294923429+4294839039+115&autoview=sku

also my drivers side caliper is sticking, i think i read here that this is caused by the rubber lines, and that replacing them will fix it?

the master cylinder and hard lines from it are new, the rubber lines are oem as far as i can tell. need to bleed the brakes anyway, and the brake fluid is kind of a gooey brown looking color.

prob gonna run me around 500 which sucks arse at this very moment in time, but if it makes that dang thing run decent ill be happy.

Offline roadrage41

• Frequent Member
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 10:06:16 PM »
oh other little tidbits i forgot.

the oem fuel system relied on the fuel filter in the carb right? after they put the ginormous holley on it, they didnt put an inline one in....

i hadnt noticed when i did the plugs because the dang wires are so long that one of the plug wires melted through to the core.

Offline roadrage41

• Frequent Member
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 01:12:35 PM »
redid plug wires and got some wire looms today and seafoamed it on a whim...

i love seafoam.

id say a 70 percent improvement in how it runs, i actually got it to 75 mph today, previously it was near impossible.

still bogs going up a hill, but not near as bad, and if i give it too much pedal below say 40 mph it bogs a little, but nowhere near as bad.

need a longer rubber section on my fuel line to install the filter i got (mr. gasket inline) but i got one lol. the fuel line is routed really wierd, going to have to pull the alternator to change it.

Offline roadrage41

• Frequent Member
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 05:18:39 PM »
swapping the 750 for a 650 holley sunday. still large, but not as large.

;D

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 05:22:54 PM »
650 Vacuum secondary?  If so you should be fine.

Offline roadrage41

• Frequent Member
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 02:17:20 AM »
650 is on after several trips to oreillys for parts o-rings for the tube that runs to the secondarys were shot. runs a crapton better, still bogs a little bit if you mash it below 20 mph or so, but barely noticeable. also got the inline fuel filter installed (most of the part store trips were because of it.) only thing that sucks is its chokeless, i got a crashcourse in rebuilding a carb tonight tho, so im pretty sure i could install one on my own. we swapped the #68 jets from the 750 into the 650 as the 650 had #70's. ill prob knock it down to a #64 here in the next coming weeks.

it runs like the boat anchor it should  ;D

confirmed it is a th350 (i was pretty sure based on the tranny pan, but i dont know that much...), but that isnt likely what came from the factory, i have D 3 2 1 on the column, but it actually only goes from D-2-1 when you shift it. buddy said it looks too clean to be the original trans. guy who swapped me the carb offered me a choice of a thirty over 454 / or a fourty over 350 for 300 bucks each if i want em, but the 350 would be without the heads (he's got darts on it, and theyre going on his 383 build for his 'maro.)

just need to fix the exhaust leak at the manifold now. it seeps into the cab which makes for an interesting drive if you dont keep the windows down.

got all new bits for the drivers side brake system, gonna get the passenger side ones next weekend and just do em in one shot, that draggin brake sound is horrendous.