Author Topic: Greetings! New old Suburban owner and I have a request  (Read 2635 times)

Offline wczimmerman

Greetings! New old Suburban owner and I have a request
« on: August 27, 2013, 10:37:58 PM »
Hello everyone!  I just recently purchased a 1987 GMC Suburban 5.7 TBI 4X4 (V2500).  It is in good shape and I am working to build it up to tow a 30-35' travel trailer cross country with my family.  It has a rebuilt motor already and I plan to have the transmission rebuilt before we launch.  I am also working through a list of items that I would like to be replaced in order to establish a baseline for maintenance and operation. 

Along these lines, the only leak on the motor was from the power steering pump which I have replaced.  But I neglected to take a look at how the A/C compressor was bolted to the motor.  Can someone with a similar setup take a picture and post it here?  It would help me in reassembly.  My setup has the A/C compressor on the right (driver) side of the motor on top of the power steering pump.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Greetings! New old Suburban owner and I have a request
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 11:34:58 PM »
i would change the trans fluid take a look at the old stuff and go from there. i would also change the gear oil in the rears
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Greetings! New old Suburban owner and I have a request
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 01:02:14 PM »
There are pics sprinkled throughout the thread, A/C Compressor Replacement & Pulley Alignment, that may help.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)