Author Topic: Newbie looking for Opinions on truck to buy  (Read 3250 times)

Offline AZBL

Newbie looking for Opinions on truck to buy
« on: July 23, 2018, 02:31:37 PM »
First time posting here, so if this is not allowed just delete/move. I am looking to buy a K20 and came across an ad on craigslist. I will leave a link to the ad below, but it says it is a 1985 with a 454ci V8. The owner also says it needs "acool pack". Not sure what this is. Any opinions on whether to leave this truck be or go look at it is appreciated. The reason I'm posting this here is because the truck is a ways from where I live and I'd rather not waste the time to drive out to it if someone on here could give me a better sense of direction on if its worth looking at.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/d/1985-chevy-3-4ton-4x4-with/6645843456.html

Offline Patman

Re: Newbie looking for Opinions on truck to buy
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 04:16:04 PM »
I’m guessing that it needs a coil pack... it sits on top of the distributor. Really easy to change out.  2k seems a fair price if it really runs. What kind of transfer case and transmission does it have? I’d buy the coil pack and see howxshecruns. You can probably get it for 1500 if you work it right...
85 K10 350, 700R4, NP208, Quadrajet, Long Bed w/ 33’s
All stock except for the motor, used to be a 305.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 04:45:02 PM »
if it was me i wouldnt pay 2k for a truck that doesnt run. if its only the coil pack then why not replace it himself and get more money for the truck.

but take a look here for a check list of all the things we can really think about when buying a truck
Areas to look at while buying a truck
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline AZBL

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 04:46:28 PM »
I’m guessing that it needs a coil pack... it sits on top of the distributor. Really easy to change out.  2k seems a fair price if it really runs. What kind of transfer case and transmission does it have? I’d buy the coil pack and see howxshecruns. You can probably get it for 1500 if you work it right...

I'm not sure what kind of transfer case & tranny is on it, I will ask the guy. Thanks for the response and help Much appreciated!

Offline AZBL

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 04:48:18 PM »
if it was me i wouldnt pay 2k for a truck that doesnt run. if its only the coil pack then why not replace it himself and get more money for the truck.

but take a look here for a check list of all the things we can really think about when buying a truck
Areas to look at while buying a truck

My thoughts exactly. He says he can put it on himself first. So if I do go down to check it out, I'd probably have him install it and than see if it runs and test drive it.

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 05:12:00 PM »
Welcome to the site.
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 05:50:59 PM »
That thing is rough, unless you are able to get it to where you want it, spend a little more and find a better unit.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline talan1979

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 09:11:19 PM »
not worth it i just bought a 1976 camper with a 4 speed and a 454 for 2 k and my interior is in much better shape

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 10:00:09 PM »
How far away do you live?

I too saw that on CL and it doesn't fit into what I do. Don't think a 454 was available in a K20 in '85 and even if it was, I doubt it would be emission compliant. Emissions in Phoenix is tough.

It's the next town west of me, I might have time next weekend to look at it....might. With the heat here this week, I crawl out of bed, do what I have to do and crawl back home, it's brutal.
1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,
2005 Porsche Boxster S,1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

Offline Uncle G

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 01:06:58 PM »
Never mind
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:10:22 PM by Uncle G »
1985 C20 Scottsdale