Author Topic: My New 74 Longbed "Lettuce Picker"  (Read 3891 times)

Offline slammed79

• Thou shalt not drive stock
My New 74 Longbed "Lettuce Picker"
« on: October 08, 2009, 07:36:17 AM »
Its high-time I added up some pics and what not.

I found this beauty two weeks ago and the guy wanted a thousand bucks. Its a 74 C-10 long bed, for some strange reason I fell in love with her, but not enough to fork over a thousand clams. After a test drive I told him I'd give him $800 and he took.

The truck has a semi-fresh 350 crate engine backed up by a granny four speed. The guy swapped out the .373 rear end for a .411, not exactly freeway friendly, but I have a .307 rear end in my 79 that should make that granny box float on the freeways.

Last Friday my buddy and I drove back up to Globe, ( A BFE town in AZ) and I laid down cash. The guy used the truck as a dumpster, the bed was filled front to back and six inches from the top of the bedside with garbage. We spent a literal hour cleaning it out enough to be able to drive the 70 miles home. The drive home was smooth and uneventful, it was a joy to be cruising a squarebody in the Arizona fall, windows down and 65 miles per hour (at 3100 rpms)

There were electrical gremlins plaguing the whole truck that I didn't originally notice like when the head lights were on the brake lights didn't work, and when you hit the left turn signal your hazard lights came on... nothing I can't handle but still a pain in the rear.

The only major flaw in the body is the drivers door is caved in, I'll be replacing that door in the next couple weekends after I have a new windshield put in and sort out the rest of the electrical issues and oh yes, I need to get the stock AM radio out and get a CD deck in there quick, I can't deal with all the talk radio lol.

http://s640.photobucket.com/albums/uu122/genosis
74 C10 Long bed 350/SM465 Lowered on 20's

Praise the lowered

Offline oldyeller

• 81 Chevy 3/4 ton
Re: My New 74 Longbed "Lettuce Picker"
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 08:06:29 AM »
Nice find, especially for the price.
1981 Chevy 3/4 ton (aka yeller)
2001 Chevy 1/2 ton extended cab lifted with flames
1950 Dodge Wayfarer all original
1951 Chevy truck
6 extended cab square bodies
Just to name a few

Offline Donut

• Frequent Member
Re: My New 74 Longbed "Lettuce Picker"
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 07:24:36 AM »
I agree, nice find.  The truck being used as a dumpster seems to be common, usually a signal something broke and it doesn't run, or it's 1 step from the scrappers. (as least here).  If you spot a junk pile in the weeds, there might be a truck under it.

Nice to hear Globe hasn't changed much  :D, I lived in Mesa, Tempe, Apache Jct. back in the 80's.
'73 Chevy K-20 ***SOLD***
350/tbh350/np205
My plow was half price if i took the truck with it.

'86 C-30 dually, 454/tbh400