Author Topic: Suspension lift question.  (Read 8484 times)

Offline dirtracer81_2

Suspension lift question.
« on: October 02, 2009, 03:48:48 PM »
Ok first off im new here I noticed theres alot of info about these trucks here.
My dad has an old farm truck that he said I could have if I wanted. Its an 87 1500 with a 4.3(Lol). What I like about it is the body is basically spotless and its a shortbed. I have been working on a mazda which I converted to a solid front axle with a dana 44 and a 14 bolt. My plans are to use those axles on this truck. I have a nice set of 42x15.50x16.5s on a 10 inch rim. I want to clear those and I know its possible. I will have a body lift because they are cheap and help out lol. My question is will a 6 inch lift and the bl clear those tires? The reason I ask is because they are so much cheaper then a 8-10 inch.
Thanks for any help.

Offline oldwhity

Re: Suspension lift question.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 06:15:03 PM »
Your going to use the 44 and 14bolt under the 87 right? If so, you might clear 42's with a 6in and bl but i'd be willing to bet they'll rub while turning or if your truck has any articulation even if you trim the fenders. If my assumption is wrong, someone will chime in.
Rob G.
81 Chevy K20 4x4 LWB stepside
I enjoy long quiet walks..........in a junkyard!

Offline keller

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 07:43:04 PM »
To clear 42's you will need a min total lift of 10-12  inches 

Offline Chevalade

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:11:45 PM »
You can clear 42's with major trimming and 6" of lift, little less trimming with the bl. Also I wouldn't put 42's on a dana 44. You are going to snap axles fast. Get a dana 60 or rockwells. 60's will work if you get good parts for it. you will also need x-over steering for them, so budget for that, as well as a steering box brace, gears, brake lines, etc.

Offline dirtracer81_2

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 11:24:54 PM »
Yeah guys I should have been more specific..I got the axles out of a late 70's 1 ton and I put good u joints in them but axles are stock. It has a lockrite in the front and minispool in the back. I mainly want the 42s only to get in some mud. I figured they would be my weekend tires and maybe 35 a/ts for driving I know it may sound dumb but thats how I figured...The 35s would let it flex like it needs to.

Offline Chevalade

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 11:44:29 AM »
Yeah thats all fine and good to do seperate tires, but your gearing is going to be way out of whack. Either you will be bogging down in the mud with the 42's, or revving the pee out of her on the road with the 35's. why not make a compromise in the form of 38.5's. They are plenty big for mudding, and can still flex out with a 6 inch lift. They will also make life not too bad on the highway for when you need to get to the rocks or the hole. Another thing, don't use 16.5's unless you have beadlock rims.

If I were you i would sell the 42's for a good price and get a nice set of 38.5's.

Offline dirtracer81_2

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 10:35:44 PM »
Yeah I get what your saying there. Thats what I might end up doing because it sounds more reasonable to a vehicle to drive on the weekends. I did locate a 10 inch lift im trying to figure out a little more info on that. What do you do with the front driveshaft because thats going to be a steep angle?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 11:53:12 PM »
thats what 4low is for  ::)
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Chevalade

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 02:03:25 AM »
Yeah I get what your saying there. Thats what I might end up doing because it sounds more reasonable to a vehicle to drive on the weekends. I did locate a 10 inch lift im trying to figure out a little more info on that. What do you do with the front driveshaft because thats going to be a steep angle?

10" lift....why? It will ride like crap...stiff as all heck. 6" lift and some fender trimming will clear 38.5's easily. Also look into a place called HAD High Angle Driveline. Tell him what ya got, and he can make a shaft for ya for a good price. Anything over 6" of lift and you will need to cut and turn your axles to get the right angles again.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 02:24:10 AM »
with 6 you should only fit 35s w/o trimming but with the 10 you will fit but then if you put the 35s on it for highway use then you will just look funny
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 08:20:10 AM »
Just my $.02 but if the axles came from a 1 ton, the front is not a 44 its a 60. Agreed on the 38"s or 38.5"s as about the biggest tire you might want on the road. I know its possible to run bigger but 38's are expensive enough to waste on pavement!
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Chevalade

• Frequent Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 08:36:53 AM »
Just my $.02 but if the axles came from a 1 ton, the front is not a 44 its a 60. Agreed on the 38"s or 38.5"s as about the biggest tire you might want on the road. I know its possible to run bigger but 38's are expensive enough to waste on pavement!

We assumed they were stock axles before he stated they came from a 1 ton. But yes it should have a 60 then. Might even be lucky enough to have 4.10's in it already.

Offline dirtracer81_2

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 05:44:19 PM »
Sorry they do have 410 gears but the front is a dana 44 though. I have been thinking and I like the idea of running a 38 because it should still allow it to flex pretty good and still be somewhat driveable. Now a new question that I have is ive been looking around and I have found 6 and 8 inch kits. The way I read the 8 inch kits basically require crossover but the 6 inch is basically bolt together. Is there a big difference between the two in height difference? I know theres 2 inches but if I ever wanted to go bigger is there room with a 6 inch?

Thanks

Offline Chevalade

• Frequent Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 02:40:36 AM »
You will notice a major ride quality difference between the 6 and 8". The 8's are super stiff.  A more ride friendly setup would be to do a shackle flip in the back (good for 4") and use a 2" lift spring. In the front, get a set of 56" rear 2" lift springs, and go to DIY4X and get the B-52 kit w/6" shackles. That gives 6" lift in the front. If you ever want to go up in tire size, you can get the 1" zero rate block for the front and back (not really a block as it becomes part of the pack) and a 1" body lift for 8" which with fender trimming will give you room for 44's.

For the 38's I would go with the 6" total. Crossover steering (with steering box brace). Depending on funds, hydro assist. Depending on how hard you wheel, you may want the d60 in the near future.