Author Topic: How can I install a late model XM radio antenna?  (Read 3038 times)

Offline superior82

How can I install a late model XM radio antenna?
« on: April 22, 2012, 09:27:40 PM »
Has anyone heard of installing a late model roof mounted XM radio antenna off of say a Suburban, Tahoe, or Silverado.  I know how I'm going to actually mount it but I'll need a cable extension to run from the antenna itself to the radio.  I have an XM Onyx radio btw.  I'd like to go with an antenna from a 2004-2006 Silverado or SUV.
God Bless John Wayne

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: How can I install a late model XM radio antenna?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 05:39:37 AM »
     Do you have a headliner in your truck ?  If so you could run it under that. down the post and to the radio.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline superior82

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 10:34:03 PM »
Yes I figured that part out but what I meant was is there a specific antenna cable that I need to run from the antenna to my radio?  The actual antenna only has about 3 inches of cable on it with a unique looking connector at the end.  Either one of these styles I like. I just need to find the right extension harness for it.
God Bless John Wayne

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 12:34:45 AM »
The problem you have run into is the antenna you want you use is wired for the factory radio. What I would do is check around for a wire or universal kit that alows you to connect to your aftermarket sterio...
Say for instance you went back to a truck in the reck yard and got the cable from the antenna to the radio. Well I bet you'd need another connector to make the connection to the radio or figure out how to splice them wires. Then again it might be diff. What ever happens let us know because I want to do xm also