Author Topic: 1971 Blazer body on a 1975 Jimmy?  (Read 6694 times)

Offline Mike Phillips

1971 Blazer body on a 1975 Jimmy?
« on: January 02, 2013, 06:53:07 PM »
1971 Blazer body on a 1975 Jimmy?

There is a 1971 Blazer for sale that cannot be titled.  It's for parts or off road only.  I've been told its in very good, all original condition but I have not seen it yet.

I have a 1975 jimmy in great mechanical condition but with a beat and rusty body.

Question?

Can I bolt the 1971 body onto my frame and running gear and be legal?

My frame and body are original and I have the title.

:)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:55:54 PM by Mike Phillips »

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: 1971 Blazer body on a 1975 Jimmy?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »
Does the wheel base differ between the 2 trucks would be my first question.  Why can't the 71 be titled, something sounds fishy there.  Tagging a 71 with a 75 title might raise a flag if you ever get pulled over and the po po is a Chevy fan that knows the difference as the body is the 67-72 era...
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 07:15:19 AM »
It won't bolt on. On the other hand with metal working skills, and tools anything can be made to fit anything!
Even if the wheel base is the same which I am pretty sure it is not, the mounts are different heights, and in different locations. If you can't find a rust free 73 / 87 Blazer or Jimmy body your next best option would be a 73 / 87 pick up cab.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 12:16:12 PM »
The 1973-1991 Blazers have a 106.5" wheelbase, the 1967-72 Blazer has a 104" wheelbase.  (same as the pickups, 2.5" longer)
To make it work you would have to fab the mounts, although the front portion should work up to the firewall, it would make the rear portion to short.

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 02:39:40 AM »
Yes, Your going to have to play with the body mounts, the bumper mounting & move the rear end assy. ahead (removing the rivets on the 4 spring hangers & rolling the whole unit ahead & re-drill the frame would probably be the simplest plan) of coarse you'll need a shorter driveshaft.
The part about being legal you would have to check the state laws, but my guess is "No way", you don't "own" the important half, the part that is used everyday to figure ownership, registration, ect. My thought is unless you can get some sort of "Reconstructed" title for the whole unit, which in most cases here in Pa. you would need to show a VIN (own) the major parts of a previously titled chunk of metal...which obviously is the problem for some reason. Attaching your '75 VIN to it & act like nothing is going on is a good way to get yourself in some trouble & possibly losing the whole thing (tampering with VIN tag in Pa. can send it straight to the crusher).
To be real honest, I'd be concerned with even building it for off-road use for the same reason...If you can't prove you own it legally it could get sticky. Lorne     

Offline Mike Phillips

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 07:38:48 AM »
I'll try to get some more info today and tomorrow.

I have not seen it yet but have been told by a buddy of mine that is a car investor that it's very nice and all original. 

I understand it's a "theft recovery", sold at an auction here in Florida and that's all I know about it.  I'm also going to find out exactly what kind of title or documentation it has, not sure right now.

I have a couple of buddies that work as Police here in Florida and spoke with one last night and he says one of the guys in the office dabbles in buying cars and fixing them up and he said if I can get the info on what current documentation it has he'll pass it on to his buddy and his buddy should be able to tell me what can be done.  His buddy is also a Police Officer here in Florida.

I hate to see a good, classic 1971 Blazer go to waste...

On another note, you should see the 1965 Mustang GT Fastback we wetsanded, cut and buffed last night...

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 11:01:10 PM »
Nice car for a Rustang.
Those Magnum 500 wheels look outa place on that vintage Stang though. Would look sweet with some Torq Thrust Ds.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:03:29 PM by Blazin »
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline slammed79

• Thou shalt not drive stock
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 03:51:14 PM »
If its a theft recovery, you should be able to get a salvaged/restored title. At least that is how it goes here, I dunno if Florida is the same way.
74 C10 Long bed 350/SM465 Lowered on 20's

Praise the lowered

Offline fitz

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 05:36:15 PM »
If its a theft recovery, you should be able to get a salvaged/restored title. At least that is how it goes here, I dunno if Florida is the same way.

In Mass when you rebuild a recovered theft the insurance company must make a list off all of the missing parts that were stolen. Once a person rebuilds it they must have it inspected by the State Police. It can get complicated because you need a receipt for all of the missing (stolen) parts that you replaced.
So in Mikes case if he just bought the 71 blazer tub, he would need receipts for every single part that he bolts to it, frame, motor, tranny, springs, driveshaft, brakes, steering, cooling, etc, you get the picture. Now allot of this would come from the 75 Blazer which the title would be adequate proof of ownership, but be prepared to have receipts for any obviously new or non stock parts.   
It can be done, just do your homework in your particular state, and be sure to document everything.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 07:41:13 PM »

In Mass when you rebuild a recovered theft the insurance company must make a list off all of the missing parts that were stolen. Once a person rebuilds it they must have it inspected by the State Police. It can get complicated because you need a receipt for all of the missing (stolen) parts that you replaced.
So in Mikes case if he just bought the 71 blazer tub, he would need receipts for every single part that he bolts to it, frame, motor, tranny, springs, driveshaft, brakes, steering, cooling, etc, you get the picture. Now allot of this would come from the 75 Blazer which the title would be adequate proof of ownership, but be prepared to have receipts for any obviously new or non stock parts.   
It can be done, just do your homework in your particular state, and be sure to document everything.

That is such a pain to have to do all that.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 07:59:13 AM »
Mike, On the surface I would agree with slammed. For someone to sell it at a public auction...I'd think there has to be some paper trail of who's it was, who paid off on it (if an ins. co.) & so forth. Like mentioned, here in Pa. is the same. It would have some version of a title, salvage certificate, ect. One thing that can happen here is a box can be checked "Valueless except for junk"...in small print beside the box says: "Can not be re-titled". They can not be made "roadworthy" again by the title rules. There may very well be something similar in your state.
There are issued for various reasons..quite often when most "major" components of the vehicle are missing from the known VIN's vehicle. Lorne   

Offline Mike Phillips

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 05:47:46 PM »
As of now I'm waiting for the owner to get and show the paperwork she has for the truck.  Until she provides the paperwork the truck is in limbo.

So just waiting now...