Author Topic: Transmission problem  (Read 2333 times)

Offline bearded_one

Transmission problem
« on: June 07, 2013, 02:18:04 PM »
Ok I have a 84 c10 swb with a small block 350, when I got the truck it had the wrong trans in it. I think it was a 700r, it was 2 speed so when it stopped shifting to 2nd i just got another trans.
I got a th350 long tail got it in and when i test drove it it died then started running all crazy not sure if the trans could cause that or if its because it ran out of gas and got some trash up in the carb? i gave it 2 days and its running great again, haven't tried to drive it again yet also the drive shaft  might be a little too short cause its leaking some fluid from the tail shaft and the shift linkage wont line up right someone please help??

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Transmission problem
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 01:48:50 AM »
first things first welcome from maryland and loving the beard. why did your 700r4 only have two gears? did you hook the vacuum line back up that runs from the carb to trans?. do a tune up on the truck since you dont know when it was last done (wires, plugs, pcv,air filter and fuel filter (might have more than one) if its a quadrajet you will have one in the carb right where the fuel line connects to. inspect the fuel line to make sure someone didnt put one on somewhere else and inspect your vacuum lines for cracks or ones that could be leaking. then see how she runs
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 01:53:36 AM »
also the trans leaking should be a tail shaft seal not hard to change at all. is the drive shaft yoke leaking you will see where the volocity of the shaft spinning will trow fluid against the bed right above the yoke and u-joint. if the drive shaft was too short it would throw it out. one way to tell if its too short is to jack the truck up by frame or trailer hitch till the rear tires lift off the ground. if the shaft doesn't pop out its good
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 74 C-10 Shorty

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 08:01:11 AM »
Yoke could probably use a little polishing too since it's probably not riding in the original seal area..

Offline bearded_one

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 04:57:54 PM »
ok thx guys i will try these things and let y'all know how it goes!

Offline rich weyand

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 05:45:57 PM »
If a TH350 *stops* leaking, it's probably low on ATF.  Oh, and the pan bolts like to back out, too.  And they run forever; longer if you use synthetic ATF.  Which of course leaks easier.
Rich

"Working Girl": 1978 K-10 RCSB 350/TH350/NP203 +2/+3 Tuff Country lift

Offline bearded_one

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 06:24:32 PM »
and also what about the shift linkage?

Offline bearded_one

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 06:27:49 PM »
And I forgot to say i have no clue where to run the vacuum line lol

Offline 74 C-10 Shorty

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 07:09:09 PM »
The bolts don't like to back out it's the gasket, if you use cork you have to snug them up often, cork gaskets are used for frequent pan removal like in race cars, use a Fel-Pro non cork and you won't have that problem. Vacuum line runs to the port on top on the intake behind the carb, a lot of times the same port where the brake booster line goes depending on the model.