Author Topic: Under the hood insulation  (Read 3322 times)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Under the hood insulation
« on: September 14, 2015, 08:03:29 PM »
Hey, is the under the hood insulation made of any special material, like some fire resistant stuff? Or just standard stuff?
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Re: Under the hood insulation
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 08:33:54 PM »
It is automotive grade insulation, not the same as household or industrial grade. It is by no means fire resistant.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 09:38:11 PM »
Ok, i found some heavy duty thick stuff at a flooring store (not carpet padding) for like $8 for a 7'x7'.  The catalogs want 30 or 40 bucks.  So i cut to fit and got those big retainer push clips at a hardware store.  Saved a bundle!  I painted the insulation black.  I was even thinking of using some of that metal tape on the section just over the engine only.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 12:54:32 AM »
I used the factory replacement kit from one of the parts big box stores. It was cut to fit but other than that it was fine, I just wish the whole thing was black. The engine facing side is black but the hood skin facing side is yellow.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 09:11:14 AM »
I used the factory replacement kit from one of the parts big box stores. It was cut to fit but other than that it was fine, I just wish the whole thing was black. The engine facing side is black but the hood skin facing side is yellow.

Give the edges a dusting of flat black header paint.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 10:01:33 AM »
Yea it's on the truck now. Not that big of deal, the engine bay is painted all black with engine enamel. I probably would have done it before I put it on, didn't feel like driving to the store for paint haha.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline enaberif

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 10:21:13 AM »
I'm going to try this in the near future ..
http://www.resisto.ca/en/product/a2a-2/

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 11:27:57 AM »
My friend used the pre cut aluminum foil sided pieces that go in the large open areas of the inner hood skin, then there is a big plastic cover that goes over the whole thing, it was optional as either blank or with a large bowtie or GMC logo on it. He has been happy with that setup also. This kinda of thing is really up to personal preference. What do you want, what can you afford and what you think looks good. I'm happy with my factory replacement kit. After all, it's not a frequently viewed item.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:29:31 AM by LTZ C20 »
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 07:58:22 AM »
I tried the aluminum tape, very sticky, but did not hold up on the fabric.  Took it off and did a light coating of high heat paint right on the padding insulation. Looks and works good.  Next!