Author Topic: Still having starting issues  (Read 1943 times)

Offline jumpkickyergunt

Still having starting issues
« on: July 23, 2015, 11:50:02 PM »
I've replaced all the springs and bushings on the lever and replaced the neutral safety switch. The backup lights turn on when shifted into reverse, but it still only starts when the shifter is wiggled. What should I try next?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Still having starting issues
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 09:29:47 AM »
unfortunately i havnt tore one apart in a while let alone to fix this type of problem. so im just giving you a bump to the top
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline jumpkickyergunt

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 09:46:10 AM »
Thank you. I'd like to add that I'm suspecting something with the actuator rod and ignition switch. When I turn the key nothing happens, but when I hold the key turned all the way and wiggle the shifter I can kinda feel the key cylinder sink in a little more and this extra amount of turn gets it started.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 10:04:53 AM »
is this a tilt column?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline jumpkickyergunt

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 10:10:31 AM »
No tilt

Offline jumpkickyergunt

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 07:32:53 PM »
The actuator rod was bent and wasn't sliding the ignition switch out far enough. Straightened it out,  replaced the switch,  and had to tighten the switch down with only one screw because the back screw would cause the switch to pull away just enough to keep it from starting with the key fully turned. I could have lengthened the hole for the ignition switch a little more, but I got lazy. Hopefully that helps someone in the future. Despite the typical shifter wiggle start being caused by a faulty neutral safety switch, it can also be caused by actuator rod and ignition switch interactions.