Author Topic: Brake Confusion  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Shsportsfan12

Brake Confusion
« on: August 28, 2015, 10:33:54 PM »
Hi All,

I recently picked up a 1980 C30 Dually off a family friend who was the original owner. Only 83k miles on it. It had been sitting for 6 years and with a new battery she started right up and drove away. With some fresh gas, she's been running great.

Driving around the other day the front passenger disk brake locked up, BAD. limped it home (<5 miles). Decided to replace both front calipers/pads/rotors/bearings/etc and do a full flush of brake fluid since it was looking pretty dirty.

I've done brakes more than I want to think about but for whatever reason, I cannot get the front passenger to get a consistent flow to save my life. One minute it will bleed no problem and then the next, absolutely nothing. This was the problem child from the beginning. I'm stumped at this point. I've tried using a vacuum pump to get it going (worked once) and had the Mrs. sit and pump the brakes while manning the line.

I'm at a stalemate at this point without just ripping all the lines out and starting anew. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Offline jg1977c20

• Registered Users
Re: Brake Confusion
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 01:16:15 AM »
change both the brake flex hoses too i suspect the one is collapsing internally as they tend to do
1977 c20 cheyenne camper special 8200gvw

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Brake Confusion
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 09:24:46 AM »
like jg stated replace the hoses. rust around the metal parts (i.e. the bracket or crimp) will pinch the hose off limiting fluid flow. this will allow fluid but will restrict how fast it gives pressure and how fast it releases pressure
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes