Author Topic: Can't find new rear hubs for '74  (Read 1789 times)

Offline eholmes77

• New Users
Can't find new rear hubs for '74
« on: January 24, 2018, 04:15:40 PM »
I'm looking for new rear hubs for my '74 C20 with the 13" brakes. I was having my mechanic put on new drums, and when he put everything back together the truck shudders and shakes when braking. He initially thought the new drums might be faulty (out of round or warped in some way), but another set of drums didn't fix it. He put the old drums back on to try to isolate the problem, and now the old drums are also not rotating correctly. He said the only thing it could be is he must have bent the rear hubs slightly when he took them off the old drums. He had to use a lot of force to get them off.

Long and short of it, I need to find new hubs and am having no luck. I can't find anything on any of the chain store web sites,  , Classic and even a Chevy dealer (though the dealer didn't seem particularly interested in helping). Any ideas of where I might locate them? Or other year trucks that use the same part? Napa does have the part for an '84 and it is 8-stud, but I don't know if it's the same part or not.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Can't find new rear hubs for '74
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 07:39:13 PM »
ive never hear of a bent hub, could it happen i guess. but i would think it would also bounce like crazy just driving it. im not going to really say he doesnt know what hes doing cause because ive never came across this issue except when i didnt properly tighten down some lug nuts. i would almost say to take the brakes back apart and see if you or him can see anything wrong there
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes