Author Topic: can't figure it out  (Read 2698 times)

Offline jo3y1nf4nt3

• '86 swb....since high school 1996, '66 nova SS HT
can't figure it out
« on: July 26, 2005, 09:34:00 AM »
i've been trying to save pix from this (and other) pages, but everytime i try to save picture as, it only gives me ART. and BITMAP as choices.  after i save them as either of them, i can't view them later on.  what gives?  

I AM running windows XP on a laptop.  that's all i know (about the system)  what/where do i go to change my options so it can include jpg. or some other viewable files.  thanks. :x  

jo3y in baytizzle (baytown y'all!)
"if only i could soothe my hunger by rubbing my belly" - diogenes

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: can't figure it out
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 10:04:00 AM »
Do you have any programs loaded that will open a jpg or gif file?

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline jo3y1nf4nt3

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 02:40:00 PM »
yes i do but i idon't have any other save option but to use ART. or bitmap.  and for some reason, my image program doesn't acknowledge either of the 2.  ((how am i supposed to get ideas when i can't remember all of themmmmmmmmmmmmm))  :cuckoo  :rollin  

Offline shaved80

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 01:24:00 AM »
try right clicking on the file and going to edit.

or when you're in the folder with the pictures, right click an empty space, then go to 'view' > 'filmstrip', if 'filmstrip' doesn't show up, there's a way to change it so it will, but i'm too tired to remember it now, maybe it'll come to me tomorrow.

now i remember :lol

lets say the path to the folder is C:\ My Pictures\Trucks, go to the "My Pictures" folder, then right click on the "Trucks" folder icon. go to properties, then customize. make it a photo album. then view the folder and right click an empty space and go to filmstrip.

Edited by: shaved80 at: 7/27/05 12:27 am

Offline jo3y1nf4nt3

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 02:11:00 PM »
still no luck.  it still says its not a recognizable format.  (ART.)  dang i hate XP.  :evil  

Offline bigblock73

• Yeller
reboot
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 11:50:00 AM »
Reboot your PC, a similar thing happens to me sometimes, and a simple reboot takes care of it.

Jeff

'73 swb 2wd

73-87.com

Offline jo3y1nf4nt3

sorta got it
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 11:15:00 PM »
AOL has an option to compress all files/images.  i changed that and it now allows me to save as JPEG. or JPG. format.  guess that's all i need.  only thing is if im opening up pron pix....i'm done by the time her chin is fully downloaded....(dial up sux)!!!!!  :lol  

Offline toplessblazer

• Frequent Member
Re: reboot
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 11:24:00 PM »
Here is a round about way of saving them to jpg format. If it is only letting you save as art or bitmap save them as bitmap then click on Start, All programs, Accessories, Paint. Once you have paint open go to File, Open, then open the folder where you stored your pictures. You should be able to veiw your pics in the paint program. Once you see your pic goto File, Save As then you will see a new window open that says "save as" and you will see two drop down windows one is "file name" and the other is "save as type". name it whatever you want and save as type you will pick jpeg. Then you should be able to just click on the new pic you saved and it should open in jpg format.
If this doesn't work then drop back ten yards and punt!
Aren't you glad your truck isn't this hard to figure out?  

Offline series60

• 35 year project truck
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 10:43:00 AM »
Normally the only images used on the web are in .jpg or .gif format. Both of these formats are readable using Windows Explorer or any browser. To save an image from the web just right click on the image and save to disk in a folder of your choosing. The save image option may be labeled differently depending on which browser you are using. Using Netscape or Firefox the label is "save image as", for IE it is "save picture as". Most Windows OSs work  in much the same way. Albeit XP is not perfect, it is far better than any of its predecessors IMHO. Once you save the image it can be viewed from Windows Explorer using Windows Picture and Fax viewer. This is the default viewer for XP but you may have to make a change to open your images with Windows Picture and Fax viewer. You can print the image from Windows Picture and Fax viewer if you care to.

If you are still having trouble viewing or saving images write me and I will be glad to assist.

Bill
series60@charter.net

Series60 AKA Mr. Bill
1973 C-20 / TH400
406+.30 CID