Author Topic: Picked up an 84 military D30 at the auction today.  (Read 17284 times)

Offline fitz

Re: Picked up an 84 military D30 at the auction today.
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 06:11:56 PM »
Whitfield- Are these lockers you mention the Gov locks that people curse about or are those only used in the light duty trucks?
I've been playing around with chevy's for a long time but this is my first military truck, lots to learn about it.
Anyone have any clues as to why it would have a 208 in it (like I mentioned, it appears to be stock)

Offline Whitfield

• Building a V-3500 Crew Cab 4wd
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 06:26:26 PM »
Most likely it was a weight / efficency issue.  

OR GM got a heck of a deal on the 208's.

Your rear locker is a Detroit ~ The real McCoy

Front limited slip is a good one too.  The 1028 trucks bring a premium.

I've been researching shopping CUCV's for the last 5 years and they run about 3500 in drivable shape.  The 1028's in similar conditon usually start around 4500 and go up quick with some exceeding 6k.

I'm am no authority on these military trucks just a shift worker with time a computer and lots of interst.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 05:55:13 AM by Whitfield »

Offline fitz

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 06:52:30 PM »
Was this a GSA online auction?

Sight unseen?

No, this is where it gets confusing.
 I have a used car license ( please note that I'm not trying use this form to sell this truck, I'm going to keep it for awhile) . The GSA auctions are at the same auction house that I attend. I usually skip the GSA auction because I've never seen anything cool like this there. Typically it's 4 year old Tauruses, Intrepids, Cargo vans and the like.
 Another dealer bought this truck and a few other vehicles (non military) at the GSA auction on 11/24/09 and flipped them over the following week at the dealer only auction on 12/1/09. I talked to him after the auction and he said he never took the vehicles off of the auction property. He said he made money on some, lost a few bucks an others, but overall he made a weeks pay without ever touching these vehicles. The paper trail shows he paid $1600 for this one.
 The day I bought it I spotted it about 2 minutes before it got auctioned off. Keep in mind there are about 2000 give or take a few cars at the auction. It's a huge building with 13 auction lanes, theres lots going on and it's easy to let something slip bye.
  I didn't really have time to check it out too good, like I said, I had about 2 minutes. At the very least I knew it was a running and driving truck. There was no Way to tell if it was even a real military rig or a homemade job. I checked to make sure it had a Dana 60, so it wouldn't be a total loss if the truck was junk and had to be parted out. There was no way to check to see it the mileage was correct until after I bought it and got the Certificate Of Origin from the Government.
 I will start going to the GSA auctions now. I mentioned earlier I spotted a military Blazer on the property when I went back to pick up this truck. Not sure whats up with the Blazer, I'll keep you posted.

Offline Engineer

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 07:05:57 PM »
That thing will be nothing but trouble for you.

I feel so bad for you that I am willing to give you your money back for it.  ;D

Seriously, I am looking to buy a CUCV at some point in near/far future.

Good luck with yours.  Enjoy it. :)
2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1/ZF6sp RC/LB
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0/4L85E EC/SB
1997 Chevy Blazer 4x4
1994 Chevy K-2500 4x4 C6P 5.7/4L80E
1979 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10
1977 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10 454

Dad of an Eagle Scout, and a Life Scout

Offline fitz

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 07:40:36 PM »
That thing will be nothing but trouble for you.
Good luck with yours.  Enjoy it. :)

To be honest I have mixed feelings on the 6.2's. I really don't know much about them. Just starting to read up on them. When I went to the auction Tuesday morning buying an old diesel truck was the last thing on my mind.

I will start checking out the inventory prior to the auction day for any upcoming GSA auctions and keep you guys posted. I don't know if this truck was a one time deal or if there are more comming.
The GSA auctions are open to the public. I know logistically it might be tough for some of you to attend but the prices seem right.

Offline Whitfield

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 07:51:44 PM »
Their is a strong 6.2L / 6.5L following. 

I once watched a 1990 diesel Blazer on 35's bark second gear and pull off like a built small block. 

A performance fuel pump installed by a GM diesel performance guy makes a big difference. 

I was in the market for one when I ran across my 88 Crew cab 4wd for $1k ~ My Crew cab was a dead beat up work truck cut up for 44" tires stock, with trashed 350 cid and rod hanging out the motor.

I still want one ~ But any more vehicles and I'm gonna need your license.

Offline fitz

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 09:55:40 PM »
I still want one ~ But any more vehicles and I'm gonna need your license.

I hear ya, Since I got the license I just can't pass up these old trucks at the auction. I'll just park this one next to the others.

Offline joesgarage71

• Wrench
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 05:13:28 AM »
 I'd like to know if there is a locker in the rear, I bet its a GOV-Lock. Is there a opition sticker in the glove box?
78' K-20 355/SM465/twin stick 205 6" on 36's
14 bolt FF/big bearing Dana 44 4.56 gears

92' GMC C-1500 454/4L80E/14 bolt

Offline Whitfield

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 05:48:00 AM »
I'll take that bet  ;)     No Gov lock in the m-series CUCV trucks    All of them got the No Spin which is gm's fancy name for their Detroit Locker.  As I understand it is STANDARD on the CUCV military pickups / NOT blazers.  

Here is a post from roundedline ~ from the 4wd section...

I think you are confusing M1009 with M1008 possibly.
M1008's came with 1T axles D60 in front, 14bolt rear with no-spin diff.  They were pickup trucks.

M1009's had 1/2T axles, Corporate 10bolts fr/rr and Gov-locs. These were Blazers.

I found you some sites with some more info too...
<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.olive-drab.com/">www.olive-drab.com/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->
<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.steelsoldiers.com">www.steelsoldiers.com</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p><a href="mailto:captkaos@charter.net?SUBJECT=Forums 73-87 trucks">Chris Lucas</a>
<a href="http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com" target="_new">www.73-87chevytrucks.com</a>
<a href="http://www.captkaoscustoms.com" target="_new">www.captkaoscustoms.com</a>
<a href="http://www.captkaoscustoms.com/images/enginemock1.jpg" target="_new">Project Su</a>
<a href="http://www.captkaoscustoms.com/Jimmy/jimmywash.jpg" target="_new">Jimmy 2WD Project</a></p><i></i>
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 05:54:23 AM by Whitfield »

Offline fitz

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 06:33:40 AM »
I'd like to know if there is a locker in the rear, I bet its a GOV-Lock. Is there a opition sticker in the glove box?

No sticker in the glovebox.

Offline fitz

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 03:20:04 PM »
 I went back to the auction today and the Military blazer was gone, oh well.
 They did have an 86 M1008 with 44K on it. It Needed a few things like Batteries (they had to jump start it), broken grill, missind glovebox. etc. I bid $1300 on it and it ended up selling for $1700.
 I think a lot of small dealers bought these at the GSA auction thinking that they struck gold and would make a killing. Now they realize that in this economy nobody wants them, they are trying to bail out of them.
 I remember a few years ago when people were paying almost that amount for the Dana 60's alone.
 These seem like strong trucks for the money.

Offline dunedigger

• Frequent Member
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 09:57:03 PM »
Just thought I would add on this that the 208 used in these trucks is said to be a heavier duty version that is unsycronized.  Meaning you can't shift on the fly.  I have a spare out of my 1028 that I will dig into sometime soon to see what the real difference is.