Author Topic: vacuum gauge timing?  (Read 2789 times)

Offline txchainsawgogi

vacuum gauge timing?
« on: February 22, 2011, 03:52:13 PM »
since i dont have a timing mark on my engine and since its a very cramped space i was interested in using a vacuum gauge to set the timing.
does this method really give good results?

am i basically just trying to get the max vacuum while keeping the idle rpm range where they should be?

my other question is... what sort of gauge am i looking for exactly? searching local auto sites only show aftermarket in dash gauges, nothing hand held.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
Re: vacuum gauge timing?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
Go to the store or junk yard and buy a timing pointer...

Offline txchainsawgogi

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 04:33:32 PM »
looks like i'd have to remove my power steering pump to get up in there. doesnt vacuum timing give better results?

Offline Donut

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 07:16:21 AM »
FWIW, I personally haven't had luck with vacuum timing.  Using a vacuum gauge for adjusting the carb works though.

You should be able to pick up a gauge at most auto stores.  I believe I got mine at Advance, behind the counter, with the timing lights.
'73 Chevy K-20 ***SOLD***
350/tbh350/np205
My plow was half price if i took the truck with it.

'86 C-30 dually, 454/tbh400

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:28:06 AM »
I bought a Mityvac at harbor freight for about $30. You will get the most accurate setting by installing the right timing tab. The vacuum gauge will get you in the ballpark but you can change the timing several degrees without really noticing a large change in vacuum. Also the tab will give you a reference to go back to if you make any changes. Either way I would run as much advance as you can without pinging under load, which is usually a trial and error procedure of driving and then adjusting until you get something it likes.
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 09:39:17 PM »
I use a Timming light, and a vac gage to adjust my timing, I also adjust my carb along with the timing.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs