Author Topic: My 81 LOOOOONG bed  (Read 18243 times)

Offline 87454westernhauler

• Frequent Member
Re: My 81 LOOOOONG bed
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 11:31:52 AM »
looks nice! what did you do to prep it?
86 c10 350 sbc 700R4 Daily Driver
79 gmc c20 350 th350
78 k1500 4x4 350 th350

Offline BigRuss

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 01:23:04 PM »
didnt do anything to prep the body.. the hood was in primer already... if you look at the doors you will see that there is a little white pin-stripe, just took a flap wheel where the stripes on the fenders and bedside where and then rolled 2 coats of paint on it, the hood has 3-4 right now and its pretty good but she will have a few more coats on it before im through
if your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

Offline BigRuss

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2011, 01:13:52 PM »
will have pics up tonight of 4 coats of paint.... as soon as i find my camera...

Offline BigRuss

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2011, 10:35:45 PM »
will have the truck finished with the exception of the wheels/tires and the face lift... thinkin bout ordering a RePro GMC grille that doesnt have the logo on it for the Work Truck Deluxe...

Offline jaredts

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2011, 06:04:55 AM »
Do you literally mean you did no prep?  Wash it with soap and water at least?  No sanding?

Offline BigRuss

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2011, 12:05:35 AM »
Do you literally mean you did no prep?  Wash it with soap and water at least?  No sanding?
no sanding... I did wipe the pollen off with a dampish rag(mineral spirits work great because it drys fast) if you have wax on your truck then you will need to wash that crap off... My truck would be finished tomorrow if I wasn't tryin to buy a new truck for the family... So the new finish date for it will probably be the middle of next month due to my work schedule

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Duh

Offline jaredts

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2011, 09:14:31 AM »
No sanding?  You might want to keep your truck out of the car wash or it'll blow your paint off in chunks.  Maaco is known for their poor prep, but they probably sand all over at least somewhat.  We used to get cars in the body shop all the time with sheets of paint missing from their Maaco paint job.  They would always say the same thing:  "it looked fine until I went through the car wash, now I need it repainted!"

Offline BigRuss

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2011, 07:03:30 PM »
No sanding?  You might want to keep your truck out of the car wash or it'll blow your paint off in chunks.  Maaco is known for their poor prep, but they probably sand all over at least somewhat.  We used to get cars in the body shop all the time with sheets of paint missing from their Maaco paint job.  They would always say the same thing:  "it looked fine until I went through the car wash, now I need it repainted!"
Don't plan on takin my work truck through the carwash anyways man... It's a truck, not a trailer queen so I'm not worried about it flaking man.  Even the wife won't take my truck through the carwash...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Duh

Offline BigRuss

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 08:07:08 PM »
trucks been put on the back burner thanks to work... shes at around 90% complete and thanks to me only having 2 days a week off and the recent random storms its kinda hard to do bondo work with the crazy weather....  but i picked up a 95 Isuzu Rodeo for the wife that this time next year will be BAGGED and sexy...

Offline BigRuss

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »
Haven't been on here in forever... Guess I got to busy working on my scion and kinda have up on my truck... Welp here's some recent pics out the damages my truck has taken since October...

hit a tree moving in to my new house

And teaching someone to drive tore up my bedside and busted a tail light

As you can see the rolled on paint has held up pretty good and I may actually wash my truck tomorrow and clean the bed out
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 03:44:08 PM by Captkaos »