Author Topic: the time has finally arrived....  (Read 3914 times)

Offline big bear

the time has finally arrived....
« on: February 21, 2012, 04:55:41 PM »
well, i finally got my dually. its an 85 gmc crewcab dually 2wd. 454/turbo 400..156k, gooseneck, class4 hitch, suburban buckets, center console and overhead console. shes a big project to say the least. i somewhat jumped the gun on it, but its ok. i got excited. i searched all over for a truck. i factored in costs, travel yada yada. part of me still says i should have waited and got a cleaner truck from down south or out west, but its ok. ill get her back to new. it runs like a champ. it needs rockers, cabcorner and im replacing all the doors. i already have my preferred bumpers for it, and such. waiting to install. all in all, im happy. the scariest part is the darn upper inner door jam rust. and rust around cab seam. ive seen far worse so im not going to piss my money away and cab swap. ill make this happen. i hope lol. naw, i followed many builds with this rusted area and it takes time.  so anyways, thats it in a nutshell. i just got plates , title ect in my name yesterday. so this comin weekend ill start messing with it. ill surely take lots of pics and post em eup. by the way, noooo im not leaving hood scoops, before any smartalics say anything haha.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:23:08 PM by Captkaos »

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
Re: the time has finally arrived....
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 05:36:53 PM »
Looks like a nice truck to start with big bear! Are those alcoa wheels on it already? Hopefully those scoops are just the two sided adhesive induction type and you can just pop them off.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline big bear

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 05:51:04 PM »
thanks alot man. yes there alcoas. there going to stay on there until i get my semis.  the hood is a repop piece of crap, but regardless, the previous owner drilled like 10 holes in each vent to hold it down.  i have many plans for it. im a bit discouraged about the upper door jam rust and the cab being solid otherwise. ill get some pics up soon of it. i wont know extent of rust/rot until i wire wheel it down or sandblast it.   ive followed several repairs of this exact problem. its just time consuming. we have the tools, and the skills.  just gotta jump in and try.

Offline big bear

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 06:02:54 PM »

Offline TxFiddler

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 06:05:05 PM »
Where's the visor?  JK..... looks like a great truck!
80 C10 2wd / 427 BigBlock / 700R4 / 3:42 Eaton Posi LSD / 770 cfm Holley Street Avenger / Doug's Headers / MSD ProBillet Distributor / Champion 3 row Radiator

Offline big bear

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »
lol....sadly it had one. thats another hand full of holes to fill. haha

Offline big bear

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 06:11:25 PM »
theres the jist of my rust issue.  it ranges from few bubbles to what you see in pic. thats the worst of it.  its in all 4 upper areas. some worse than other. i know theres been much worse fixed. alot of guys would just say cab swap, but naw.  i know it can be done. any tips, advice, anybody done this repair? ive followed 4 repairs of this problem, and it was rather easy flowing.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:37:08 PM by Captkaos »

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 06:13:49 PM »
     Very nice looking truck, and those rust spots do not look bad at all.  Should not be too hard a fix.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline big bear

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 06:17:09 PM »
thanks for the good words. its a bit worse than it looks, theres some holes and softness, but its certainly saveable. the worse of it is, just not knowing what is behind or beneath the panels. all in all, not too shabby for a 27 year old  rust belt ohio truck haha