Author Topic: Instrument gauge wiring question  (Read 1750 times)

Offline swilliams

• Frequent Member
Instrument gauge wiring question
« on: October 22, 2014, 10:09:14 PM »
I have looked at a lot of different posts on the web about gauge wiring. There seem to be just a few agreed upon ways of doing it. I am wondering if i could take the pins from the back of the stock smaller(volts,temp, oil pressure) gauges and solider the wires from an aftermarket(Auto Meter, SpeedHut etc)to them and plug them into the stock sockets instead of having to cut the original harness plug and wire them that way. I am wanting to not cut up the stock wiring but still have newer gauges.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:36:07 PM by swilliams »

Offline swilliams

• Frequent Member
Re: Instrument gauge wiring question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 08:32:33 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions

Offline roger97338

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 04:30:42 AM »
The aftermarket gauges would need to use the sending units they are designed to work with. Unfortunately, that isn't going to be the same sending units as the factory gauges. If you don't want to hack your stuff up, you could get the pieces you need from a wrecking yard, and cut those up. Then run new wires for your new gauges, leaving the factory wiring untouched.

Or, you could get one of those three-gauge brackets and mount it someplace where you can see it. Maybe get all fancy and make a plexiglass glove box door and mount it in there.

Offline swilliams

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 06:08:39 AM »
Thanks for the answer