Author Topic: Broken string  (Read 3019 times)

Offline OLDRED

Broken string
« on: December 07, 2004, 07:56:00 PM »
I have 73c10 auto trans the string that moves the indicator gage is broke. Where can I find one or fix it is their a trick? All so shift lever seems out of adjustment where do I adjust it

Edited by: OLDRED at: 12/8/04 10:28 pm

Offline DnStClr

Re: Broken string
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 07:35:00 PM »
Oldred, did you ever get a fix? The string is actually a thin steel wire with a plastic coating. I have an extra laying around if you need it. no charge. I'll just ship it off to ya.Let me know.
Adjusting it- all I did was put the gear shift lever in park and moved the orange indicating needle to the 'p'. Fixed it.

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline rhorvick

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 12:30:00 PM »
I'm going to need to do this as well.  Haynes/Chiltons do not explain the process so until my shop manual arrives I haven't tried tackling this.

Do you happen to know what I need to remove to get at the wire on a 73 K-10 w/o tilt steering?  Do I need to pull the wheel, remove the instrument cluster cover, or something else entirely?  I can't imagine it's too terribly difficult.

It's an inconvenience but it's not worth a lot of hassle (yet).

Thanks.

Robert.

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 03:19:00 PM »
No need to pull the steering wheel, Robert. Remove the plastic lens from the inst. cluster and it's right there.
There's a small spring on the left hand side and a "c" clip on the right hand side to hold tension on the spring. The wire is connected to the clip with a crimp and there's a loop on the other end of the wire to loop around a small plastic block on the back side of the orange pointer. By moving the position of the clip, you are moving the pointer thru the travel of a slide mechanism in the indicating bracket. The spring is holding tension against the loop.
The slide mechanism needs greased so it works smooth when the gear shifter is moved thru it's motion.

Don
87 Chevy Silverado