Author Topic: Not starting  (Read 2822 times)

Offline weatherfordjacey

Not starting
« on: September 13, 2015, 10:03:20 AM »
I noticed my firing order was wrong so I changed it an now my truck won't start it started with incorrect firing order just back fired at high rpm

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Not starting
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 11:27:37 AM »
Did you remove the distributor or just rearrange the wires?  Remove the #1 spark plug and crank the engine to bring it up on #1 cylinder compression (with your finger covering the spark plug hole you will feel/hear pressurized air pushing out through the hole).  Align the timing marks on the balancer to TDC (0°).  Lift the distributor cap and the rotor will be pointing to the #1 spark plug wire terminal. 

The driver side cylinders (assuming a U.S., left hand drive vehicle) are odd numbered 1-3-5-7 from front to back.  The passenger side cylinders are even numbered 2-4-6-8 from front to back.  Rearrange the spark plug wires in the cap according to the firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, moving clockwise from where the rotor is pointing.  Reinstall the #1 spark plug and the engine should start.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline weatherfordjacey

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 12:38:13 PM »
My rotor is on the back around number 5 it would go on the other way

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 04:53:10 PM »

What do you mean by this ^^^^?

If you are certain the engine is physically on top dead center compression (TDCC) when the rotor is pointing to #5, either the distributor was reinstalled a few teeth off, or the balancer has spun around the hub throwing the timing marks off, or the engine has jumped valve timing.  There are a couple of approaches depending on how much time and energy you want to invest.

Recommended:  Check the timing chain play and harmonic balancer to determine whether the chain jumped one or more teeth or the balancer has spun around its hub, and then restab the distributor and wire the cap in accordance with the factory configuration.

Risky:  Gamble that the chain and balancer haven't slipped and both are okay, leave the distributor stabbed as it is, and rewire the cap accordingly, starting with the #1 plug wire installed where the rotor is presently pointing toward the firewall.  See what happens.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline weatherfordjacey

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 06:24:29 AM »
So if I change the wires around I just start where the rotor is pointing an I still do the correct firing order?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 08:34:39 AM »
Yes.  But again, you are running a risk - see above.

You never answered my question...

What do you mean by this ^^^^?
Rich

Offline weatherfordjacey

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 08:50:58 AM »
It wouldn't go the other way is what I ment sorry

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 09:08:09 AM »
Since the rotor is pointing toward the firewall when the engine is on TDCC #1, there's an unstated repair history.  What led up to the 'backfire' and 'rewiring the cap?'  Are you sure that it isn't simply a bad spark plug or wire?
Rich

Offline weatherfordjacey

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 07:17:41 PM »
I replaced the plugs an wires an the Carb still backfired threw the Carb

Offline weatherfordjacey

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 07:18:21 PM »
The back firing just happened one day

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 07:46:21 PM »
Does it backfire through the carb continuously or only when you throttle it quickly?  Does it pop-pop-pop-pop with rapid full throttle opening?
Rich

Offline weatherfordjacey

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 08:03:37 PM »
When I get to about 2000 rpms it sounds like a snare drum

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 08:56:51 PM »
I just read through all of your threads and posts to date.  What you've described fairly consistently, suggests a bad camshaft - a flat exhaust lobe.  You need to perform some basic engine tests.  First and foremost, carefully recheck (and correct if necessary) the firing order as outlined in Reply #1, above.  If the backfire persists, do the 'Recommended' checks outlined in Reply #3, above.  Then, run a compression test.  If you are unfamiliar with the diagnostic procedures, I can provide some links that will help explain the process.  Depending on the outcome of the foregoing tests, there may be some additional steps.  None of the procedures listed above will disable your vehicle for more than a few hours at a time; so all can be performed on the weekends without worry.
Rich

Offline Captain Swampy

• Wisconsin
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 09:16:29 PM »
Take the valve covers off and watch the rocker arms. You'll see one or two not rocking as much as the rest if the cam is bad. Unplug the distributor and have someone turn it over for you.  If the rotor is pointing towards where the 5 wire should go when #1 is at Top Dead Center the distributor may have been installed a half turn off. #6 fires right before 5 and if your timing is incorrect the rotor might be pointing at #6. They may have put the distributor in when#1 was at TDC on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke. Your timing chain could  have jumped a tooth or two also. bd is pointing you in the right direction.
1987  350TBI 700R4  4X4  4.56 gears  33" BFG All Terrain

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32209.0