Author Topic: fuel gauge not reading correctly  (Read 1998 times)

Offline askkmb

• New Users
fuel gauge not reading correctly
« on: June 13, 2017, 09:09:25 PM »
Hello, i swapped a 5.3 into friends trucks. The problem i am having is the fuel gauge is reading backwards. Truck was carburated and with dual tanks but i bought a new tank complete with sending unit from a EFI 1987 r10 and swapped that in but now with only one tank on the drivers side. I want to remove the switching unit for the tanks but for now i dont think it should have to do with my problem but what i did was just connect the drivers side tank and left the pass side disconnected. And i dont know if the gauge was working properly before because the truck was bought from the previous owner not running and started to tear down right away for the swap. Anyone knows if the 87 r10 trucks have different sending units or different gauges or something? Any ideas i could try?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: fuel gauge not reading correctly
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 11:35:23 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.

Let's begin with the basics.  Please include Year, Make, Model etc.. when posting.  You clearly stated the year/model of the fuel tank assembly (87 R10 TBI), but not the year/model of the truck on which you are working.

Where exactly is the fuel gauge needle pointing?  Post a pic if you can.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: fuel gauge not reading correctly
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 07:18:16 AM »
to add to what bd said. is it even moving at all?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes