Author Topic: Went through 3 foot deep puddle, truck wont start.  (Read 4185 times)

Offline Godgunsrocknroller

Went through 3 foot deep puddle, truck wont start.
« on: May 14, 2006, 07:32:00 PM »
I went mudding in my 88 c1500 last night, and went though a puddle that was up to the hood. It ran after I got pulled out of the puddle but then I turned it off and it wouldn't turn on again. I got towed home and today I pulled all the wires associated with the TBI (map, 02, engine coolant temp, etc.) as well as all the plug wires and distributor cap and I let them dry real good and I blew them out. I put all the stuff back together and it turns over fine, but it won't start on its own. If I pour starting fluid down the intake it will start and idle fine for about 5 or 10 seconds, but then it shuts off. So it has spark and compression so I know its a fuel delivery problem, I don't know why its not getting fuel though. Any help would be appreciated.

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 06:38:00 PM »
Forgot to mention its a 305

Offline toplessblazer

• Frequent Member
Re: .
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 12:49:00 AM »
Did you check the fuse for the fuel pump relay under the hood? This pic is one I found on ebay but the thing I have circled is the relay for the fuel pump and there is a fuse inside there. If this fuse blew then your fuel pump will not work and the truck won't start.

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 07:29:00 PM »
Yup, its the fuel pump because I don't hear it making noise when I turn the key. It has power at the relay, but not at the fuse. I also found a broken ground strap going from the frame to I don't know what, but its near the fuel pump area. I have two relays, I have one next to the one you circled too.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 12:15:00 PM »
Found out more. There are 5 holes in the fuel pump relay, (acdef). A is the only one that has power. The fuel pump under the dash fuse has no power unless I jump the a and e terminals of the fuel pump relay. Inside the truck in the fuse panel, all the fuses have power except the one that says "lamps" i think. So I put a wire straight from the battery to the "lamps" fuse and the 3 hole plug about a foot away from the fuel pump still doesn't have power. I was about to put power straight to the pump but it started raining really hard. I am bewildered.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 02:36:00 PM »
there is a bulkhead connecter that has three receptacles that goes to the fuel pump, I put power straight to the first receptacle, and nothing happened, I put power to the second receptacle and nothing happened, but on the third receptacle I tried to put power to it and it kept sparking so I couldn't, does that mean it isn't grounded or has an open between the connecter and the pump? I am begging for help, I am extremely aggrivated and fustrated >:  Please if anybody has any ideas at all please let me know

Offline 1976Scottsdale

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 12:35:00 PM »
Okay, first, how much is a new fuel pump relay.  If it is cheap, replace it.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 01:55:00 PM »
I found out it was the fuel pump, I replaced it and it runs good as new now. I think the fuel pump going out and me submerging my truck just might have been a coincidence. Thanks anyways.