Author Topic: DOOR PANEL REPAIR  (Read 3652 times)

Offline struggla

DOOR PANEL REPAIR
« on: July 12, 2007, 08:03:07 PM »
Hey guys i have a 1984 gmc truck.

My door panels are in good shape overall except for the top where the uv rays have deteriorated the panel.

My question is. Is there something i can put on the plastic panel where the damage is to smooth it out so i can just dye the panel the color i want?

Would bondo work for this type repair?  ???

Offline 123 pugsy

Re: DOOR PANEL REPAIR
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 09:18:52 PM »

My question is. Is there something i can put on the plastic panel where the damage is to smooth it out so i can just dye the panel the color i want?

Would bondo work for this type repair?  ???

I feel "dying" door panels is actually a false claim.The "dye" for door panels is actually a primer and a top coat of paint. I don't think that the primer for plastic door panels would stick well to whatever you used to fill with. You'd be better off changing the panels.
Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 12:15:05 AM »
You need a plastic "welder" to put the cracks back together.  Bondo isn't a good idea on a plastic door panel that flexes.

Offline struggla

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 08:48:06 PM »
I dont have any cracks just a real rough surface on the top of the panel where the UV rays have deteriorated it.

I probably will just buy some new ones. I wanted to see if there was a way to smooth the surface first though.

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 09:00:57 PM »
Mine looks like that...not quite that bad though. When I bought my truck my panels were facotry tan but I got some of that interior plastic paint and gave them a couple good coats and it filled in the cracks some so it was pretty smooth. you could probably just sand it a little then repaint.
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 10:39:55 PM »
You could sand it and put some fiberglass resin on it and wait till it was tacky and press peice of fleece all over it to make the "crinkles" come back.

Offline struggla

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 09:55:43 AM »
I have been out sanding it this morning. Just sanding on it has made a world of difference. Guess i will just keep sanding it some more until i get it the way i want it  ;)

I was going to buy new repro ones but i think i have saved myself some money by using some good old fashioned elbow grease. I will go get some SEM Spray monday from the local body shop and paint it and see how it turns out.

I guess the next thing i need to do is recover that piece around the door inside latch that is fabric.

Overall i just wan to make it look "pretty good" and i am pretty sure i can do that now after seeing what sanding can do to the plastic.

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 12:35:12 PM »
Don't sand too far, they aren't that thick, which is why I suggested putting resin on it to build it back up.