Author Topic: Question about rear flip kit  (Read 4875 times)

Offline 1976Scottsdale

Question about rear flip kit
« on: December 18, 2007, 10:20:16 PM »
I was looking under my 4x2 lowered truck and saw that it has an axle flip kit installed.  There is no C-notch kit however.  The truck currently has about 600 pounds of parts in the bed and it has roughly 1" of clearance before the axle hits a pair of brackets on the frame.  MY question, if I were to remove these brackets, and not load the truck as it is now for street use, do I need to install a C-notch kit?  I mean, it looks like it would be okay and it has a fairly stiff suspension setup, but I spend my time making trucks taller and have no experience with lowering, the truck is exactly how it was when I rescued it from the barn... aside from scrapping the original cab which had been chopped about 6 inches.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Question about rear flip kit
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 11:19:22 PM »
I highly recommend C-notching these if they have a flip kit.  The bracket is where the bump stop used to be, you need to remove it.  I know people have not notched them, but if the roads are remotely bumpy, it will eventually bottom out.

Offline 1976Scottsdale

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 11:26:38 PM »
Okay.  That's what I needed to know.  It looked like that bracket needed to be removed anyway.

Offline the dan

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 01:02:48 AM »
from experiance i havent notched mine and i have a flip kit, i hauled 3 dirtbikes to maine so roughly 250 miles on not the nicest highways, and thats about 600lbs and a kid in my passenger seat, and it did fine with no bottoming out, its not a necessity, but if you going to tow, or have alot of weight in the back part of the bed, then yes i would notch it, that or if you remove your overload spring
83 C10 Pro-touring, Forged 408 Stroker LS, Paxton supercharger, T56 magnum, Detroit 9", and horrible paint

Offline Pushrod

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 10:38:25 PM »
I flipped mine without notchin. no big deal there.
Junkie 77 Stepside AKA "The Sanford Machine"
81 Malibu 350 and a 4 speed

Offline shaved80

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 12:34:55 AM »
i had a flip and hangers, and only about 1" notched out of my frame, still had pretty good clearance, rarely bottomed out unless there were big bumps/drops