Author Topic: need info on buying a parts truck!  (Read 1717 times)

Offline shaved80

need info on buying a parts truck!
« on: August 30, 2006, 03:10:00 AM »
i might buy a truck, but only for some parts. do i need to insure it, register it, or any of that kind of stuff?

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: need info on buying a parts truck!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 02:12:00 PM »
I don't know what the rules of the DMV are for your area, but here, I just don't title it.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline toplessblazer

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 06:52:00 PM »
As long as you don't get the title made out in your name you will be fine. I have had plenty of parts trucks and never had any issues. Once you get ready to junk it the scrap yard only wants to see the title to make sure it is not stolen.  

Offline 80stepsideguy

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 03:20:00 AM »
Do yourself a favor and once your ready to junk it cut the roof off so it isnt deemed to be a truck but indeed scrap metal.My town of st augustine and a fellow person i bought my new cab from said to cut the roof off completly and it will be deemed scrap metal.

thanks
pat

1980 Chevy c10 restomod:  350/700r4 12 bolt 3.73 rearend iris blue metallic
1998 Chevy 1500 S/B 2wd
1970 cougar convertible: triple white 1 of 1
2014 Hyundai Tucson Limited(my daily driver)
2023 Kia Sportage X Pro (her daily driver).
2017 Hyundai Tucson Limited(her everyday driver).

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 09:48:00 AM »
About cutting the roof off to convert to "scrap"...that may be just a state law.  I believe every state is different in determining scrap.  Here in VA, we can go to the DMV and file for a title if none exist.  What they do is  try to notify the last known owner (per VIN ).  After a given amount of time (about six weeks i think) if no reply or if previous owner says he sold it (and that owner is investigated the same way) and dead ends come up and all leads exhausted, a new title is issued for the filer.

for a parts vehicle though, who goes thru the effort? I have several old vehicles as donors and no title was ever taken out for those.

Why would one want to insure something they do not intend to driver?  No reason to.  

SgtDel
aka "Andy"

www.delbridge.net

1979 Big 10 383 stroker
1991 Blu 'Burb 3/4 ton 4x4

Edited by: SgtDel  at: 9/1/06 8:50 am