Author Topic: tranny swap question  (Read 5482 times)

Offline treny

• 83C10
Re: tranny swap question
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 08:01:24 PM »
I know lots of guys that change rearends like that m i got an 83 can put 1/2 ton to one ton with the axel swap.. , just hang the new springs and hook up the shocks again. done..brakelines and all ,, Ide be afraid to get into adjustin a rear end , if they arent just right have to do it again .. and again  Sounds like what I, doin put the motor in m take the old onme out m put the new one in , Still got wireing and rad stuff got headers to pt on hve to get it painted and put my old sunvisor on ,, either gun grey or midnight blue Good luck hope you have success , Bruce
http://home.rushcomm.ca/~treny/
Hii There , Stating another project , an 83 c10 2wd  .Frame etc is all good and have to replace dash pad and seat , some body work and Paint Prob flat blk wth a clear cote to seal it.Ill keep in touch with updates ..Bruce

Offline chrpmaster

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 11:59:48 PM »
Thanks guys for the info.  I am planning on doing this to help with the highway driving and since any trailer I would pull would be less than 3500lbs I don't really need the higher ratio.  It seems after reading Fordeatinz71 description none of it sounds too tough except maybe the part about the shims.  Maybe I'll try the tequila before I start then it will become crystal clear ;D

I saw somewhere in the original paperwork that the gear ratio was 3.53 (or maybe 3.56 I don't have it in front of me right now).  Are the 2.50 gears common or are there certain models and years I should look for at the junk yards?  Are they expensive to buy new?  Where is a good source?  Are there gaskets that will need to be replaced like on the diff cover?  I hope to get this done yet this summer though with the list I am working on now it looks more like fall before I get er done.

Andy

Offline treny

• 83C10
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 12:23:33 PM »
I have a 83 here with 256 gears from the factory, you might find one of them in a junkyard and if so get the springs and all esier to change the whole thing only have to undo springs and the shocks and put the doner in. If you have Kijiji there its Kijiji,.ca here maybe yours is .com But you can find them here for anywhere from 50-100 dollars ..Bruce

Easier for junkyard too
Hii There , Stating another project , an 83 c10 2wd  .Frame etc is all good and have to replace dash pad and seat , some body work and Paint Prob flat blk wth a clear cote to seal it.Ill keep in touch with updates ..Bruce