Author Topic: More Choke Light/ Oil Pressure Light.  (Read 5034 times)

Offline paniolo

More Choke Light/ Oil Pressure Light.
« on: December 04, 2011, 03:28:23 PM »
I know there is another thread on this, but not sure if proper etiquette here is to start a new thread or piggy back on that one?  If I should have posted there can mods just merge?

'81 454, engine was swapped with an early 90's version retrofitted to a carb.  Eldebrock performer series intake and 1206 carb.  The only stock gauge that is operational is voltmeter.   A autometer set of volt, oil pres, water temp gauges w/ mech. leads was wired in and are operational.  The mech water temp runs from the front of the performer manifold.  The  oil pressure gauge line runs from a T at the sender location on the front left of the block with the disconnected stock sender on top.  With key on the only indicator light is the Seat Belt.

I just found that the lead for the electric choke on the performer carb is just dangling on the other side of the firewall.  I would like to get the choke operational, along with the choke/oil pressure warning lights.  Operational stock oil and water temp gauges would be nice too as backups if nothing else.  Are there in other stock indicator lights that should work?

In reviewing the wiring schematics it shows a 2 terminal oil pressure switch that serves the dual purpose of lighting the warning light on pressure failure and energizing the choke circuit on start up.  The schematic also shows a single terminal sender for the gauge.  I have two loose connectors ... one with two leads and a single lead one.  But the wire colors do not match up with the schematics.  Are two oil sender locations used for the stock bb setup?  Or is this all accomplished with a two terminal gauge type sender?
David M.
'81 C20 Suburban, tow pkg, 454, TH400, 14bb

Offline paniolo

Re: More Choke Light/ Oil Pressure Light.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 03:55:30 PM »
More info on the wires.  After rubbing some brake cleaner on them so I could see a color other than dark brown  ;) the unattached double connector seems to have a tan and yellow wire to it.  The single connector has a tanish wire.  I also noticed for the first time a blue wire with a ring terminal attached to what looks like some kind of sensor between two exhaust ports?  All of these wires seem to come from a square electrical device or router mounted on top of the driver side valve cover. 

Edit:  The sensor behind Cyl#1 exhaust is the water temp sensor.  It has a Dark Green wire that I must have mistaken as blue.  The stock temp gauge is not working, how do I figure out if it is the gauge or the sender?  Actually, I wouldn't mind retrofitting a water temp lamp also.  I already put an alternator lamp in my Autometer pod and a water temp indicator to back up the gauge would be real nice.  Can you get different temp sensors?  I assume they are normally open, what temp does the stock light sender close at?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 09:47:38 PM by paniolo »
David M.

Offline paniolo

Re: More Choke Light/ Oil Pressure Light.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 09:37:12 PM »
OK ... more info.

After digging deeper into the schematics I found an engine schematic for a Heavy Duty truck engine.    There is a note that the 350/931circuits are on all harnesses BUT the HD truck.  The 350/931 circuits are what feeds the oil pressure/ choke circuits.  Looking at the HD truck schematic, there is something called a speed switch mounted to the top of the driver side valve cover.  My burb has this and it does not appear on the other light duty schematics.  Additionally it shows a single oil pressure tan wire, just like my unconnected single connector and also a double connector with yellow and pink/blk wires that goes to something called a speed switch valve.  My unconnected double connector has a yellow wire and what I called tan may just be a faded pink?  I don't know what this speed switch circuit does, seems like it may be emissions related?

Could my burb be a HD version?  How are the HD versions identified?  From what I see of the HD version there is no choke heater or oil pressure light circuit, only an oil pressure gauge. 

I can easily hook the electric choke to an ignition source, but I really would like an operational oil pressure indicator light to supplement the gauge.  My son drives the truck a lot and I do not trust him to monitor the gauges.  I could retrofit the circuits copying how GM did it on the light duty versions, but need another oil pressure source.  Are there two oil pressure ports on the 454?

Reading schematics is very informative ... but also very confusing!  :o
David M.