Author Topic: Adding a tach  (Read 42956 times)

Offline 81_Chevy

• Frequent Member
  • A Truck Is Built, Not Bought
Re: Adding a tach
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »
81_Chevy:  Got any pictures of your installation for us to view?  Thx.

yeah i do, there some here on my build thread, put there from at night. ill have some better pics up tonight.
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php/topic,24585.0.html
81 Chevy K20 350 4" Rough Country lift ridin on 35's ; 2 12 inch Subwoofers w/ a custom interior

Eagle Scout - 2012 Proud to be one!

Offline richmond2000

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 04:08:20 AM »
I know the OP wants to keep the big gas gauge someon  sells an "aftermarket" Version of the OE tach that goes into the fuel gauge slot and sells the "little" fuel gauge 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 12:40:30 PM by Captkaos »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 12:40:52 PM »
Without the printed circuit to go with it, it won't work.

Offline slickgtp

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 08:45:22 PM »
I put a tach in that corner last year...  Just saw this thread though.  It was a 2 1/16" VDO gauge from Summit.  Enlarged the hole in the back to run the wires and trimmed the black bezel to mount the gauge to and then cut a hole in the lens for it to fit in.  Turned out pretty good in my opinion.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 07:56:51 AM by slickgtp »
'73 C10 Cheyenne Super w/Factory 454, TH400
She's really rough around the edges, but has lots of character.

"It's choice - not chance - that determines your destiny." -- Jean Nidetch

Offline KWKENUF

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 04:56:27 AM »
I have not installed this one,  and it is a bit pricey,  but it could be a very nice option.  Works with your non-tach printed circuit.

http://gmsportssalvage.com/?q=node/1530

I am considering doing what slickgtp did on his install.

Offline 81_Chevy

• Frequent Member
  • A Truck Is Built, Not Bought
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 10:42:15 AM »
here those pics of my tach install. same or similar as the OP wants to do.

81 Chevy K20 350 4" Rough Country lift ridin on 35's ; 2 12 inch Subwoofers w/ a custom interior

Eagle Scout - 2012 Proud to be one!

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 10:50:06 AM »
The fuel portion will still need the printed circuit in the tach/fuel gauge, unless you hard wire it.

Offline Jason S

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 03:29:47 PM »
I have not installed this one,  and it is a bit pricey,  but it could be a very nice option.  Works with your non-tach printed circuit.

http://gmsportssalvage.com/?q=node/1530

I am considering doing what slickgtp did on his install.

The letter/numbers on that gauge are correct for 80's-up trucks.

Isn't that tach/gas gauge for clusters that also had the vacuum gauge, possibly C60 trucks?
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline KWKENUF

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 06:20:39 PM »
The fuel portion will still need the printed circuit in the tach/fuel gauge, unless you hard wire it.
Not sure exactly what you mean,  sorry.  Maybe this next part is what you are saying?

I got this next part from the install someone did with this...

"This is how it installs.

The unit pluged right in where the original fuel gauge pluged in. No wiring for the fuel gauge. For the tach , it came with a wire with the right connector for the distributor. Just run that wire in to the back of the cluster directly to the new tach and your done. Mine works great. But remember you have to remove the lower warning lights to make it fit if you use a regular cluster. "

The letter/numbers on that gauge are correct for 80's-up trucks.

Isn't that tach/gas gauge for clusters that also had the vacuum gauge, possibly C60 trucks?

You are correct,  80's up lettering.  No on being in bigger trucks.  Those only came in 4K or 5K rpm varieties.  This is a purely aftermarket one that goes to 7K rpm.

Like I said,  to expensive for me right now.  Besides that,  it wouldn't match my other gauges (79 here).  It would be cool to put that tach/gas gauge in and then put the smaller gas gauge in the empty spot and hook it to my second tank.

Offline moxabanshy

• New Users
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 04:15:25 PM »
     They do make a tach that has a small gas gauge in it, that goes in the spot where the gas gauge is now.  There are post in here in the interior section, do a search for tach's.

Like Bake74 said, you can get a factory style tach cluster and swap it into your truck. Here's an early 70's style, the 80's would be similar but with slightly different lettering.  The minimum you'd really need is the cluster housing, tach gauge and fuel gauge. The remainder of your gauges could swap over.

Sorry to drag up such an old topic (made an account just to ask this!). Is there any sort of wiring issues I need to be aware of if I wanted to do a set up as shown in the picture? I have a 1980 chevy that doesn't have a factory tachometer, so I'm assuming all I need to do is get the small fuel gauge, the tachometer, and the plastic wiring thing that goes on the back of the instrument panel and they all plug in as normal?
Thanks!

Offline KWKENUF

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 08:12:16 PM »
Sorry to drag up such an old topic (made an account just to ask this!). Is there any sort of wiring issues I need to be aware of if I wanted to do a set up as shown in the picture? I have a 1980 chevy that doesn't have a factory tachometer, so I'm assuming all I need to do is get the small fuel gauge, the tachometer, and the plastic wiring thing that goes on the back of the instrument panel and they all plug in as normal?
Thanks!

You will also need to move some of the wires around in your plug on the backside of the cluster for the new fuel gauge location.  The tach clusters also utilize a different housing than the non-tach clusters.  You will need that and the pedestal that goes under the tach. 

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 10:08:41 PM »
IF you get the whole cluster from a 78-up for your 80 it will technically plug in.  Verify the wires though.

Offline mrnapolean1

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2014, 04:04:55 PM »
I put a tach in that corner last year...  Just saw this thread though.  It was a 2 1/16" VDO gauge from Summit.  Enlarged the hole in the back to run the wires and trimmed the black bezel to mount the gauge to and then cut a hole in the lens for it to fit in.  Turned out pretty good in my opinion.

How did you mount the Gauge inside the cluster?
And did you fold the PCB back?

Offline dalefan613

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 09:42:36 PM »
Just get a tach from lmk and a small gas gauge take out the big gas gauge put the tach in wire it like any other tach then just jumper the fuel gauge wires over