Author Topic: 83 Stepside supercharged road fighter project  (Read 32441 times)

Offline krow

Re: 83 Stepside supercharged road fighter project
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 05:50:40 PM »
nice truck. I need your front bumper LOL

Offline 74 C-10 Shorty

• Frequent Member
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 09:39:52 PM »
Awesome truck, I like the custom heater box just what I need for mine, does somebody make these or is this a one off??.. Thanks..

Offline Twin_Turbo

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 06:08:27 AM »
I made it myself since no one seems to offer one.

Offline 74 C-10 Shorty

• Frequent Member
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 07:15:53 AM »
I made it myself since no one seems to offer one.
Thanks, kinda what I thought guess I'll have to make my own too then, yours came out great...

Offline Twin_Turbo

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 05:21:59 PM »
Tanks are in. Boy what a wrestling match getting these in without scratching them uo. These things are made to go on with the cab off. Not a fun job at all. Also when I had 1 in I realized the rear brackets were not the same and sure enough I had them mixed up :(

complete tank with sender retainer ring this time :)

installed... glad I had them done in black and not gunmetal or argent silver like I normally do. These show and that would have messed up the blacked out look

inner fenders back on. Soon I will fire this thing up for the 1st time

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 03:10:14 PM »
Of all the spare part piles I've ever seen yours is probably the best. Definitely like the build and can't wait to see the videos of this thing in action. Wish I had a parts pile with blowers, turbos, intakes, EFI systems and maybe a few trannys in it.
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Offline Twin_Turbo

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 05:21:08 PM »
This is the fuel system as I will run it. A 550HP capable mech pump filling a surge tank.  The surge tank feeds the large electric pump for the EFI (it's a paxton branded aeromotive A1000) This way I can retain the stock pickups in the tank and the stock switching valve (which works flawless on mine) without having to source one of those hard to find higher pressure models and having to baffle the tanks and run 2 in tank electric pumps.

Next was the tranny cooler...

Decided to install my tranny cooler here because I have no room up front. For a moment I contemplated drilling large round holes in the bumper and mounting it behind that but I figured this was easier and I have some other cars where I set it up like this, a rear mounted cooler and they work just fine

soon I will fire this thing up, hopefully in a couple of weeks (waiting on some small bits to come in from Summit)

pump & surge tank

coil, 3 bar map for trc-2 retard and some other stuff

interior going back in

It's ALIVE!!  :lol:  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S6UBS5Vpp6E]

Well, it all went too smooth. Crap was bound to happen. Sure enough I had no fuel going to my surge tank. After checking the hoses, the pump and everything I decided to do a test on the tank lines and sure enough blocked and partial blocked. The reason is I took the tanks off but there is no room to work there so I left the hoses a little longer to be able to connect the hard lines with the tanks dropped down a little. This kinked the hoses when the tanks were back in place because the hard lines are pretty close together. With no room to work I had no choice but to lift the bed and redo them with the little cramped space under the cab available. Took some cussing and swearing but got it done.   Also painted the rear lamp frames black because the aluminum was oxidizing and I hate polishing stuff.

^%$#^%^#%$^#$%^caramba!!

blacked out

Now the pressure remains nice and constant and the surge tank is always full

1983 Chevrolet C10 Stepside Supercharged - YouTube

a little test drive...not much traction from these junk tires (peg leg)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OLp5zuI2x8k

almost done...

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:25:22 PM by Twin_Turbo »

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 09:45:45 PM »
 Your not the first guy to make the fuel hoses a little longer to make it easier to hook up & have it kink...ask me how I know ;)

Offline Twin_Turbo

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 10:39:17 AM »
Good to hear I am not the only one LOL how did you fix it?  I was worried I had to grow another joint in my arm to get in there

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 07:07:31 PM »
     It will be interesting to see when your done how it all drives together.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Twin_Turbo

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 10:48:54 AM »
Did my 1st test drive today. Drives fine.  The SC is off, The belt snapped (it had a fray on it and it came apart when running) so it's N/A for now but there's plenty of power without the SC.  Only little problem I have is that my charging wire is getting hot on the alt. connection. I made the connector myself because I had too little roomo with my valve covers. I figured the crimp on spade terminal would become a problem and it does when the fan kicks in. I'll have to think up something better for that, something that can handle 160amp charging loads if needed

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 11:37:11 AM »
Try an 4 gauge wire from your charging post that's what I'm using.

What's under the hood??? If you have to ask maybe we shouldn't race...

Offline Twin_Turbo

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 11:58:45 AM »
355 / Street & Performance Multiport / TFSG1 TW heads / custom blower cam / Procharger P600B / custom intercooler

The wire is not the problem, the spade connector is. I think those things are only rated from 15 to about 35 amps depending on size... even the biggest one will be way too small.   I may have to get some of those thick cable ends for amps and such and rig one of those to the charging post.

Offline 81_Chevy

• Frequent Member
  • A Truck Is Built, Not Bought
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 01:35:35 PM »
i seriously love this truck. its so BA on soooo many levels. what are your engine specs? i didn't see it on here!

-Nic
81 Chevy K20 350 4" Rough Country lift ridin on 35's ; 2 12 inch Subwoofers w/ a custom interior

Eagle Scout - 2012 Proud to be one!

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 01:36:39 PM »
Dude that's what I'm talking about. I got copper connectors at both ends. On a 4 gauge cable

What's under the hood??? If you have to ask maybe we shouldn't race...