Author Topic: Accessory Power Issues  (Read 4337 times)

Offline lilkiduno

Re: Accessory Power Issues
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 04:34:43 PM »
So, I should have power to one side of the circuit breaker if the breaker is bad right? Otherwise how do I remove the Fuse panel to check the back side, Unbolt the one bolt in the engine capartment and then should it pull off on the inside? I won't be able to work on it tonight and maybe not for the nest few days, They're calling rain for the next few days. Just trying to get a game plan

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 05:47:52 PM »
So, I should have power to one side of the circuit breaker if the breaker is bad right?

Yes.  In the Run position only.

How do I remove the Fuse panel to check the back side, Unbolt the one bolt in the engine capartment and then should it pull off on the inside?

You will need to leave the engine compartment harness plugged into the bulkhead connector since that is how power enters the cab from the battery.

From inside the cab, remove the two screws (yellow arrows in the upper image) that retain the fuse box to the firewall.  By removing the two screws, the fuse box and bulkhead connector will loosen from the firewall but will not separate from the firewall entirely.  Next, simultaneously pry the two plastic clips located on the lower flanks of the screw bosses (green arrows in the lower image) outward just enough to unclip the fuse box and work it away from the firewall bulkhead connector by rocking and pulling the fuse box toward you.  A long narrow screwdriver works best to dislodge the clips.  Don't pry the clips outward too far or you will risk distorting them permanently.  This action will separate the fuse box from the bulkhead connector.  Rotate the fuse box to access the wire connections on the backside.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 06:01:26 PM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline lilkiduno

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2020, 10:54:09 AM »
UPDATE: I had a few moments to look at it yesterday There was no prower to either side of the circuit breaker so I seperated the fuse block. It was fairly hard to see up top, However, it didn't appear to be burned or corroded that I could see, Since I was doing this again on a 1/2 hour lunch break, so I didn't have time to drop the column again the trace the orange wires, This is obviously the next step and hopefully the issue. I hope to have this hammered out before but this ishould be done by the end of next week at the latest as a lot of attention has been perpairing for a family vacation, where I have to stay behind and work, so I will have much more free time once everyone is gone, I guess that sounds pretty selfish.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2020, 04:12:26 PM »
Keep in mind that IF there is power on the orange wires at the ignition switch, it should occur ONLY with the key in the Run position.  IF there is power on the orange wires at the ignition switch with the key in the Run position but no power through the orange wires to the fuse block, then the orange wires are open somewhere in between.  On the other hand, if the orange wires are dead at the ignition switch, either the ignition switch is faulty or the switch terminals are not making connections with the wire terminals in the harness connector.  Make sure the switch terminals are not bent so that they won't engage the connector terminals.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline lilkiduno

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2020, 12:18:59 PM »
bd, Thank You so much for all your help. I went to trace the orange wires, unwrapped the loom pulled the orange wires to seperate them and trace them, plug pulled out of the ignition switch, pushed it back in and heard the click, tested, that was the problem, Simple but effective, power windows work, blower motor blows and choke light is off. Thank You!

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2020, 03:21:54 PM »
The two connectors that engage the ignition switch interlock and must be connected to the switch in a specific sequence.  If the sequence is reversed one of the connectors won't fully engage the switch terminals.  Double-check to ensure that both connectors are fully plugged in and seated.
Rich

Offline lilkiduno

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2020, 07:38:42 AM »
I will drop the column again and check today, I did however give it a backward tug and it didn’t pull out. However, with as easy as it is to get to I’ll just be sure to double check.