Author Topic: SOLVED - Anyone recognize this noise?  (Read 8122 times)

Offline 5l1p5tr3am

SOLVED - Anyone recognize this noise?
« on: February 05, 2015, 08:36:33 PM »
Finally got my project beast started, but it doesn't seem to want to move.  When I shift into R the noise begins. It stops in N and then gets louder as I manually shift down through the gear range. The noise didn't come out on camera, but the noise it makes when I shift back into P did. Anyone recognize this noise?
http://youtu.be/J39z5vwyl9Y
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:05:16 PM by 5l1p5tr3am »
1979 Chevy Frankenstein
C10 diesel converted to 4x4 with 307/350/203

Offline cali6shooter

Re: Anyone recognize this noise?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 01:06:01 AM »
How local are you to hemet

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 01:23:48 AM »
cant watch the vid right now. but what transfer case do you have?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 06:20:05 AM »
sounds like the noise a 203 case makes when you have locking hubs unlocked and try to drive with the case in HI
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 09:00:07 AM »
just watch the vid. ouch, what you are hearing is the trans still turning when you put it in park or rev. either your transfer case is in neutral (or broken) or your front hubs are unlocked (or broken) or one of the axles are broke. normally when you come to a stop you stop the trans from moving with the brakes but if something isnt locked or something is broke your trans is still turning and your are basically putting it into park while driving down the road

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 5l1p5tr3am

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 12:30:52 PM »
Thanks for the responses friends.  As for my vicinity to Hemet,  I'm right next door in San Jacinto.  The Tcase is 203. With the engine off it shifts freely into all positions except Hi Lock.  This is my first rig with manual locking hubs and this particular Tcase so I definitely could be doing something  wrong. I figured for normal driving the front hubs should be unlocked and the case should be in high. Am I wrong?
1979 Chevy Frankenstein

Offline enaberif

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 01:07:02 PM »
Thanks for the responses friends.  As for my vicinity to Hemet,  I'm right next door in San Jacinto.  The Tcase is 203. With the engine off it shifts freely into all positions except Hi Lock.  This is my first rig with manual locking hubs and this particular Tcase so I definitely could be doing something  wrong. I figured for normal driving the front hubs should be unlocked and the case should be in high. Am I wrong?

NP203 only has locking hubs if a part time kit is installed. If a part time kit WAS in fact installed part of having it is ensuring you on occasionally run it 4wd to oil the chain. IF this has not been done enough you can destroy a NP203.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 04:24:48 PM »

Offline 5l1p5tr3am

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 05:45:07 PM »
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=30171.msg254118;topicseen#new
heres some more info on the 203

Thanks for the info on the 203. Good stuff to know for sure.  I appreciate it.

NP203 only has locking hubs if a part time kit is installed. If a part time kit WAS in fact installed part of having it is ensuring you on occasionally run it 4wd to oil the chain. IF this has not been done enough you can destroy a NP203.

I wish I knew for sure if it's been converted.  It's such a Frankenstein truck that it's hard to say. The guy I bought it from only owned it for 6 months because it was to much of a project for him. I'm trying to get in contact with the owner before that who dId the diesel-> gas conversion and the 2wd-> 4wd conversion. Hopefully he can give me some more info on how things are set up.
1979 Chevy Frankenstein

Offline enaberif

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 05:46:20 PM »
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=30171.msg254118;topicseen#new
heres some more info on the 203

Thanks for the info on the 203. Good stuff to know for sure.  I appreciate it.

I wish I knew for sure if it's been converted.  It's such a Frankenstein truck that it's hard to say. The guy I bought it from only owned it for 6 months because it was to much of a project for him. I'm trying to get in contact with the owner before that who dId the diesel-> gas conversion and the 2wd-> 4wd conversion. Hopefully he can give me some more info on how things are set up.

Well while you are waiting for that I suggest you check the oil level in the transfer case before you go any further and ensure its the PROPER oil in there.

Offline 5l1p5tr3am

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 02:04:05 PM »
Well, it looks like I'm the biggest dummy here.  I locked the front hubs and now everything works great.  So I guess that means I have unlockable hubs on an unconverted Tcase?  Why the PO would put unlockable hubs on when unlocking them clearly screws everything up is beyond me.  Now I'm off to find out why my power steering and power brakes aren't working  :-\
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:07:00 PM by 5l1p5tr3am »
1979 Chevy Frankenstein

Offline enaberif

Re: SOLVED - Anyone recognize this noise?
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 02:13:52 PM »
Well, it looks like I'm the biggest dummy here.  I locked the front hubs and now everything works great.  So I guess that means I have unlockable hubs on an unconverted Tcase?  Why the PO would put unlockable hubs on when unlocking them clearly screws everything up is beyond me.  Now I'm off to find out why my power steering and power brakes aren't working  :-\

People just do strange things. Honestly I'd put locking hubs into my truck even tho it has part time just for the looks LOL!

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 02:27:29 PM »
If I had to venture a guess, the PO replaced the converted 203 because he roasted it by not locking it in occasionally.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline 5l1p5tr3am

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 02:32:03 PM »
Forgot to mention... I really appreciate all the help guys.  Without your input I'd still be laying under my truck scratching my head.  And I always spill my beer that way  :P
1979 Chevy Frankenstein

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 06:34:21 PM »
some previous owner did the exact same thing to my truck too. ill never know why
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor