Author Topic: Electric Window  (Read 3655 times)

Offline GoatBeard

• Frequent Member
Electric Window
« on: August 11, 2008, 03:06:13 PM »
Usually replacing the motor/regulator isn't that bad, my problem is 2 fold:

1)  My window motor DIED when it was all the way down!  I don't think I can replace anything with it rolled down like that and don't know how to get it back up (or move it at all) to replace the motor/regulator.  So how do I either move the window up and/or is it possible to replace that stuff with the window all the way down?

2)  Whomever replaced it last time actually welded it in!  I guess that's nothing you guys can help me solve, but thought it was interesting.  Those holes tend to get wallered out a little making the window unstable (shake) and the previous owner fixed it to never move again!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Electric Window
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 03:10:13 PM »
If it's welded in aside from cutting it off you're basically going to need a new regulator and motor. Are you sure it's the motor? Did you try hot wiring it and tapping on the motor with a hammer? Just one thing, be very careful because it's spring loaded and if you remove it without locking the spring you'll be missing a few digits.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 03:14:49 PM »
Down is good, up is bad.  You need to remove the door panel and then remove the rear window support (bottom bolt should be all you need to remove, but if it is difficult, pull the top out)  then you need to move the glass rearward to get it out of the slot on the regulator mechanism.  Once you get it out, you can probably get the glass past it and then you have to remove the regulator from the door...

Offline GoatBeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 06:36:24 AM »
I didn't beat with a hammer, but I did beat on it with a broomstick (hammer wouldn't reach)  ;D

So all the way down is good -- that's good news!  I thought I was in a pickle...

I like my fingers, so how do you, "lock the spring"? 

So I need to take the window out as described, cut the bolts then replace both regulator and motor.  I can handle that. 

Thanks!

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 11:11:11 AM »
About the best way I know of to lock the spring in the door is with a set of vise grips.  They need to be locked on the toothed gear against the arms, that is if you are planning on removing the regulator and motor as one unit.  It may be an experience getting it out with it all the way down, and the motor on it, but you don't have much choice.

Vile may have some other insight/tricks on getting them out.