Author Topic: I need some help wiring up a few things.  (Read 2379 times)

Offline team39763

I need some help wiring up a few things.
« on: September 24, 2007, 04:27:14 PM »
I don't have a manual or anything to tell me what wires go to what, so I'm pretty lost on this truck. Plus I'm clueless when it comes to wires and stuff like that anyway. 

1.Where can I tap into for a power wire to my electric fuel pump(mounted near rear bumper)?  I noticed there is a few wires going to the thing that switches tanks(under the bed).  Maybe the fuel level sender wires?

2. Same as above, but for electric fans. I have relays for both the fuel pump and the fans.

2. Where can I tap into for a power wire for my MSD Box?  It's mounted under the hood, on the passenger side. 

I know these are probably dumb questions, but I was about to pay $75/hr to a shop and they estimated about 4hours.  I'd rather spend that money on stuff that I really need to get the truck running.  I'm new to working on cars/trucks(just started this year).  Thanks.

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
Re: I need some help wiring up a few things.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 06:50:53 PM »
That is a ridiculous price to pay. I could run all new wires and switches for all those things in about an hour.

There are power wires everywhere but you need to know if you want said things to turn on with the ignition or a switch or(the fans maybe) automatically.

It would be really easy to run power wires for all three and just put three switches inside your cab. But if that's not your thing, then it's goin to be a little more complicated.
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 07:23:13 PM »
That's actually not a bad price at all. I charge $90/hr Plus parts & materials and would say 4 hours sounds about right. You really want dedicated circuits for each component. Where did you get your accessories from? Most of them will give you a schematic with wire gauges and recommended circuit layout. MSD you can just go to their tech site and I think they are in .pdf
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline team39763

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 09:18:02 AM »
The price quote was labor only. I bought the painless relay kits for the pump and the fans.  I also bought some toggle switches.  I'd like my pump to come on only when ignition is on and the toggle switch is on.  I'd like the fans to be able to come on anytime whether the truck is on or off.  My problem is picking the right power source.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 03:57:10 PM »
On your fuse panel you will find power taps that you can run accessory ckts off of. Get a test light and touch each one to verify if they are constant B+, Key on B+ or Key on engine running B+ An easy way to create an engine running circuit is to piggy back off of the oil pressure switch like your choke does. Make sure you use circuit protection for each one and use the correct wire gauge. You can use the relays to your advantage of not running high current through your switches. Install the switches after the load on the ground side. This keeps the electrical arc down and makes less "live" wiring flying around inside your cab. If you need help drawing a specific schematic I'd be happy to help but tackle one at a time. I think I recently posted one on an electric fan using a relay. If you have 2 fans just wire them in parallel
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10