Author Topic: new member with a big problem  (Read 3662 times)

Offline silvercrxsir

new member with a big problem
« on: August 31, 2009, 12:35:35 AM »
ive got an 83 c10 2wd shortbox and i recently put on some 20inch wheels the problem i have is that the front wheels sit to the edge of the fender like i wanted but the rea sit in almost 4 inches all the wheels are the same it seems like the front of the truck is wider than the rear by alot its very possible that the rear end i have is from a suburban but i dont think that would be and different and if this is just how they are is there a diff rear i can run so i dont have to run huge wheel spacers so my truck doesnt look stupid cause it looks really funny since the rear looks way narrower than the front

Offline silvercrxsir

Re: new member with a big problem
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 12:41:37 AM »
the truck is a fleetside with a 5 lug 10 bolt rear if that helps and the reason im suspicous about a suburban axle is cause the guy who originally built the truck used a lot of suburban parts and the previous owner said he thought it had a suburban rear

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 04:57:39 AM »
You will need different wheel offsets or wheel spacer adapters.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline bigblock73

• Yeller
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 07:07:31 AM »
The rear track width on these trucks is 3" narrower in back...1.5" per side.  Get some spacers and you will be fine.
Jeff

'73 swb 2wd

73-87.com

Offline silvercrxsir

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »
im showin way more than 1.5 in the rear its almost 4"narrower on each side i dont really want to spend more money on wheels and i dont wanna run a 4" spacer is there any way that it could possibly be that the suburban rear is narrower i would rather install a wider axle or the correct axle cause it would be cheaper to go to the upull and do it that way wil a 88 and up axle bolt right in they are supposedly 2" wider

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 02:17:51 PM »
All pickup rearends are the same width from 73-87, they are as listed narrower in the rear by design.  If you like the wheels you are going to have to run spacers.

If it appear more than that, I would check the backspacing on the wheels to make sure they are the same.  Are they all the same width?

Offline NevadaNeal

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 03:59:16 PM »
One of the previous owners very well may have had that rear end shortend for wider wheels.if its that much off i would measure.