Author Topic: More powerful window motors?  (Read 10716 times)

Offline Skunksmash

More powerful window motors?
« on: June 19, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
Been looking around for a better window motor that might work. I ironed all the kinks out of both my tracks and assemblies, but I drive a modern vehicle most of the time, so those windows on the '87 are just plain slow. I was thinking perhaps another vehicle might have some faster motors, that might interchange. Anyone else ever looked into this?

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
Re: More powerful window motors?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 05:52:15 PM »
I just R&R my driver window. It is now faster than the passenger, comparable to my civic. If you take the motor off the regulator, the motor gear pulls out and exposes another gear. I cleaned that all up and re greased it. I used lithium grease on the tracks and now it works great.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 10:44:41 PM »
If there are no mechanical issues I would check the voltage drop at the motor. If the voltage drop is say 11 volts and source voltage is 13 volts that means you are dropping 2 volts along the way (resistance)
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 11:13:17 PM »
When I first got the truck I had to pretty much gut the doors and rebuild almost the whole power window system. I don't think it had been working for years. But as they are almost as fast as on my '07 Civic, I would assume that they are pretty close to factory condition. I'm just looking for a way for them to go faster than that. Maybe a larger, more powerful window motor would do the trick.

I figured this was a longshot lol. If I do it I'll post it up here.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 11:42:44 PM »
how new are your motors?  Have old are you gaskets?  Have you lubed the roller tracks?  What do the rollers look like?

Offline topp

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 11:17:53 AM »
The new motor I put in my driver door of my '87 is just as fast as the window in my '06 Trailblazer
'90 Suburban TBI 350

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 11:29:21 AM »
how new are your motors?  Have old are you gaskets?  Have you lubed the roller tracks?  What do the rollers look like?

Its been roughly a year since I had to rebuild all that stuff, but the speed hasn't changed so I'm guessing they are all still in good shape. Don't get me wrong, they are not slow. I've had trucks that had slow windows before, and after I did all that stuff to these, I would guess they are probly pretty close to the factory speed. They are just too slow for me. I'll probly just slap some other motor in there if I can find one that's better, that I can adapt to the truck.

Its just one of a million little updates that I want to do to the truck to make it more modern. I get out of my 07 civic and into the truck and its like "ugh..." lol
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:34:19 AM by Skunksmash »

Offline lucki17

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 03:32:58 AM »
how new are your motors?  Have old are you gaskets?  Have you lubed the roller tracks?  What do the rollers look like?

Its been roughly a year since I had to rebuild all that stuff, but the speed hasn't changed so I'm guessing they are all still in good shape. Don't get me wrong, they are not slow. I've had trucks that had slow windows before, and after I did all that stuff to these, I would guess they are probly pretty close to the factory speed. They are just too slow for me. I'll probly just slap some other motor in there if I can find one that's better, that I can adapt to the truck.

Its just one of a million little updates that I want to do to the truck to make it more modern. I get out of my 07 civic and into the truck and its like "ugh..." lol

psssh, its a 30 year old truck. wonder how that honda will hold up in 30.... hahaha.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 11:56:43 AM »
Operate them directly with 12V and see if they go faster. If so then you know you've got resistance in your wiring.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline bgctrading

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 02:29:54 PM »
I have an 85 and the windows are almost as fast as my 08 gmc.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 05:54:36 PM »
I might go as far as saying my k10 window is faster than my 04 honda. At the minimum, i really cant tell a difference in speed between the two.

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 04:34:58 PM »
When I put new motors in my 87, they windows flew up and down. fast!
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 08:22:32 AM »
Well I did my best to lube and smooth out the bent tracks. But they still creak when going up and down.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 10:27:39 AM »
Did you grease up the two motor gears themselves? You have to take the regulator and motor out, then separate the motor. The motor gear comes out. I cleaned all the old grease out and put new stuff in. Now it works great.

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 04:15:53 PM »
No I didn't do that, but I ran all new wiring to both doors, unbent the tracks, lubed the rollers and lubed and cleaned the tracks. Didn't have the money to replace the motors at the time. I had to do all that cause it looked like the doors had been a rat nest for a while. The truck had obviously sat somewhere for a year or two, but it was in half decent shape for the most part. After I did all that the windows went from that old creep, to going up and down pretty quick. I'll have to check out the motor grease when I get time.