Author Topic: 1990 GMC V2500 purchase  (Read 2156 times)

Offline TennesseeBoy

• New Users
1990 GMC V2500 purchase
« on: May 16, 2014, 08:59:21 AM »
Hey guys, Ive been a lurker on this forum forever, but not a member until a few days ago.  You guys know a TON of good stuff.

I want to buy a 1990 GMC 2500 4x4 Suburban from a friend. Ive never had a SAS Chevy, always had IFS, and i have a couple suspension questions.

Its had a 6" lift on it for about 10 years with no problems. He did springs in the front, and 4" blocks and AAL in the rear.

First, what can I look at to see if it was installed properly and the front isn't gonna give me a ton of problems?  Second, it rides like crap.  I know its a 2500 4x4, but can i get better shocks, delete the lift blocks and replace with leafs and make it better?

Thanks!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: 1990 GMC V2500 purchase
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 10:55:18 PM »
the lift block will generally give it a better ride than spring. just because the two mounting points stay the same so you have more of a arch in the springs. but you will also notice different spring manufacturers have different quality in a ride. i have rough country and other will tell you the same they ride rough. skyjacker makes a good spring (softride) but you will pay for it
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: 1990 GMC V2500 purchase
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 10:12:30 AM »
     Welcome TennesseeBoy.  As far as the front goes, do a check of all the suspension parts.  Do this with the vehicle on level ground, look under the front of vehicle and have your friend turn the steering wheel back and forth and you check for any loose parts.  This will give you a idea of how worn the front is and if you will need to replace anything.  Also take it for a test drive next to see if anything feels loose.
     As far as it riding like "crap", what do you mean exactly ?  It wonders all over the road ?  It bounces you to death ?  It wonders and bounces you all over the road ? 
     The better you can tell us what you feel, see, hear, it will only help us on letting you know our thoughts.  Good luck.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom