Author Topic: cab light?  (Read 13100 times)

Offline vr4oaks

cab light?
« on: April 11, 2015, 12:47:52 PM »
I recently got interior trim from a truck that has a cab light, my truck never had. So my question would be could I put it in when any problems?

-vr4oaks
1979 Chevy c10, Super HX30, POD Injectors, Timing and Fuel turned up, FASS 15 PSI Fuel Pump, BHAF, Autometer Pro-Comp 2 Boost and EGT gauges, 4" MBRP Dodge Cummins Exhaust, 12" 273 welded rear-end, max boost 40 pounds, max EGTs 1500, Hydroboost

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Re: cab light?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 09:01:25 PM »
Which of the following are you talking about? "Cab light" isn't very specific.

-roof marker lights (above windshield)

-cargo light (outside above back window for bed)

-interior dome lamp (inside middle above back window)
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline vr4oaks

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 09:31:54 PM »
Which of the following are you talking about? "Cab light" isn't very specific.

-roof marker lights (above windshield)

-cargo light (outside above back window for bed)

-interior dome lamp (inside middle above back window)

Sorry interior dome light.

-vr4oaks
1979 Chevy c10, Super HX30, POD Injectors, Timing and Fuel turned up, FASS 15 PSI Fuel Pump, BHAF, Autometer Pro-Comp 2 Boost and EGT gauges, 4" MBRP Dodge Cummins Exhaust, 12" 273 welded rear-end, max boost 40 pounds, max EGTs 1500, Hydroboost

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 11:43:24 PM »
Ok. Now which interior pieces do you have?
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline vr4oaks

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 12:33:02 AM »
Ok. Now which interior pieces do you have?

My truck has zero, but I was able to get head liner and all the trim around the head Liner including the a pillars.

-vr4oaks

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 01:41:57 AM »
Ok. That's good. Now as far as I know, but I could be wrong, all you will have to do is drill the holes in your cab for all the screws that are used to hold the pieces in place. It sounds like you got the dome lamp itself, did you get the wiring for it also?
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline vr4oaks

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 01:59:48 AM »
Ok. That's good. Now as far as I know, but I could be wrong, all you will have to do is drill the holes in your cab for all the screws that are used to hold the pieces in place. It sounds like you got the dome lamp itself, did you get the wiring for it also?

I got some of the wiring but I'm going to run all new wires, with new door switches. Now new question, can someone tell me the values used on the relay?

-vr4oaks

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 02:02:54 AM »
New wires and switches are good, nothing wrong with that. Which relay are you trying to find values for, what system is the relay for? What year, make, model, trim is your truck and what year, make, model, trim was the donor truck?
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline vr4oaks

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 02:12:15 AM »
New wires and switches are good, nothing wrong with that. Which relay are you trying to find values for, what system is the relay for? What year, make, model, trim is your truck and what year, make, model, trim was the donor truck?

The relay to power the interior cab light. Idk much power it draws and the truck it came off of.

-vr4oaks

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
It does not use a relay. What year is your truck and trim level?
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline vr4oaks

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 12:08:59 PM »
It does not use a relay. What year is your truck and trim level?

It'll be custom wiring. Does anyone have a diagram?

-vr4oaks

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 01:48:00 PM »
We aren't sure what your asking for? You want to hook up an interior dome lamp, your asking for a diagram. Diagram of what? Wiring diagrams? Diagrams of how the dome light mounts to the cab? You say it's going to be custom wiring, what exactly does that mean? Do you have some kind of setup or idea you want to use? The factory system is simple, works well and pretty easy to fix or trouble shoot if it stops working. Your intent here seems to be vague and we don't have enough information to help you affectively. We still don't know what year your truck is, what trim level it is? All of this information is important to know to figure how to help you the best we can.

Your going to have to explain in detail exactly what your plans or ideas are, what pieces you have and/or need and any information you have about the truck that can help us help you figure it out.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline vr4oaks

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 11:36:17 PM »
We aren't sure what your asking for? You want to hook up an interior dome lamp, your asking for a diagram. Diagram of what? Wiring diagrams? Diagrams of how the dome light mounts to the cab? You say it's going to be custom wiring, what exactly does that mean? Do you have some kind of setup or idea you want to use? The factory system is simple, works well and pretty easy to fix or trouble shoot if it stops working. Your intent here seems to be vague and we don't have enough information to help you affectively. We still don't know what year your truck is, what trim level it is? All of this information is important to know to figure how to help you the best we can.

Your going to have to explain in detail exactly what your plans or ideas are, what pieces you have and/or need and any information you have about the truck that can help us help you figure it out.

I have no idea what trim level my truck is, all I know is that it's a non ac truck that had holes in the floor when I got it. Year, read my signature. I don't have access to truck that I got the pieces from so I'm going to have to make my own circuit for the dome light. The donor truck I knew more about it then the kid who owned it and I know very little about it. But I think I've figured out how to do the wiring, at least in my head.

-vr4oaks
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 11:41:27 PM by vr4oaks »

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 12:57:42 AM »
All you have to do is go into the tech section, find the wiring diagrams for your year truck, find the diagrams for the inerior body electrical. Then what ever it shows for the setup of a dome lamp wiring system, just copy that into your truck and it should work fine. It doesn't matter if you use all new wiring or new door switches, that stuff is fine. The easiest way is to copy the system the way the factory did it. Set it up the way the factory designed it, based on how the wiring diagrams look and it should function properly.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Jason S

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 08:20:25 AM »
Here's a quick link to the various manuals. Scroll down for the wiring diagrams and select the year model of your truck.  The wiring for the dome lamp is fairly simple.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=30115.0

1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"