Author Topic: Smog in California  (Read 4457 times)

Offline Bearbait

• New Users
Smog in California
« on: May 12, 2002, 01:58:00 PM »
Hey .. Ive got a 84 GMC Blazer Its got a vett engine in all pumped up and not a lick of smog on it any of you know of any way around getting it smogged please let me know.. the last 4 years have just been a pain and a exspence getting it done.. any Ideas? (dont want to put smog on it either)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Smog in California
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2002, 07:23:00 PM »
Not sure what you are getting at, Are you asking if there is a way to not get tested? Or a way for it to pass? It should pass the test if you have an EGR valve and Catalytic converter(s)  

~Captain's Log~

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 79GMC4x4

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2002, 11:41:00 PM »
And a smog pump?  And the engine has to be the same year or newer as the body.

'79 GMC shortbed 454 th400 14 bolt FF NP205 Dana 60

Offline cpegasus

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2002, 10:49:00 AM »
this is harsh but I got out of CA smog
I moved hehehe
Carol

Offline 79GMC4x4

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2002, 12:55:00 AM »
Can't blame ya, Carol.  When I retire someday, I will too.  The smog and gun laws are killing me!

'79 GMC shortbed 454 th400 14 bolt FF NP205 Dana 60

Offline 83CHEVY

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2002, 11:02:00 AM »
The gun laws REALLY WILL kill you if a bad guy breaks in.  He of course will have a gun, but you won't because you respect the law.  The law against breaking in didn't deter the bad guy, so why would another bunch of words in some book saying he should not have a gun bother him?

But, the CA lawmakers sleep good at night because they have this delusion that they have done all the good citizens of CA a favor.  They have made you safe.  Do you FEEL safe?

Mike

P.S.  I am not sure what this has to do with trucks - just speaking my mind.

Offline 79Shortbox

True
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2002, 10:17:00 PM »
I agree with all of you. California has got to be one of the stupidest states when it comes to smog restrictions and gun laws. Some of the gun laws they have out here make absolutely no sense, and even annoy me thinking about what people are thinking about when they write this stuff.

Easiest way to, ehem, pass is get someone running a clean V8, find a place that will put you information in the computer, and hook the sniffer to his truck. Will cost you a couple hundred extra bucks though.

Offline DixieOffroad87

• Registered Users
Re: True
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2002, 09:06:00 PM »
around here that just costs an extra 25 dollars but i dont think you wanna drive all the way to georgia

psc

Just put air in the pipes
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2002, 03:28:00 PM »
If they sniff your pipes, just run a compressor into your pipes to lessen the emission concentration.  Don't let the feds see you do it though.  That's what ford did in the 70's in their trux.  Hate to mention fords but it worked, they passed.

oscarone

smog in CA.
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2002, 09:56:00 AM »
Unfortunately in Ca.  they do more than just sniff your tail pipes.  They will do a visual inspection of your smog equipment as well.  Whatever was on your truck when it was built by GM has got to be there now, and functioning.  Also, you can't have smog equipment installed that wasn't originally there.  Look for the emissions decal under your hood.  It will tell you what was on the truck and should have a vacuum diagram.  Your other problem is the engine itself.  Any engine change is "suppose" to be approved by the Ca. Air Resources Board.  If your engine is "pumped up" good luck.  In Ca. everything has to be approved...the carb, the cam, the heads...Speeking of the cam, if your valve duration is over .230 @ .50 you won't pass the sniffer anyway.  My advise is when you do an engine change do some research.  Don't just drop in a bad ass engine.  I am putting a 383 stroker in my '77 K10 at the end of the month...believe it or not it will all be legal and should dyno easily over 400 hp.  Look up Ca. Air Resources Board on the net and find a "referee" in your area.  They will have all the info you need.

Offline johnhardaway

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2003, 10:12:00 PM »
Beware the infamous "test only" stations with their scrupulous "law and order" types.  Normally these folks wont take a bribe and will rat you out to Uncle Grey and his tree-hugging friends.
My advice: Take a trip to Laughlin, NV.  purchase a mail drop with a street address (i.e. Mailboxes etc.), register the truck with NV DMV, get your plates, and when pulled over by a cop in CA tell them its your "river" boat.:evil  

Offline 77 K30 Crew Cab Dually

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2003, 02:53:00 PM »
Did your Blazer originally have a 6.2 diesel in it? If so, that's your ticket;)