Author Topic: Another question on Lowering  (Read 4707 times)

Offline JBerryhill

• 1987 GMC Sierra Classic SWB
Another question on Lowering
« on: May 19, 2009, 06:43:27 PM »
Guys, I have just ordered and received my drop kit. I went with BellTech 3 inch drop spindles Part #3200 and a rear flip kit that has the U-shaped piece that the axle tube sits on which did not come with shock extensions. My question is, instead of purchasing "drop shocks" for the rear, can a person buy two front shocks (which are shorter) and put on the rear. I have been told this is possible. I was wondering if anyone has done this or found any over the counter shocks that would work. I am keeping the Monroe SensaTrac shocks that are 2 months old on the front and would like to purchase two of the same brand and type for the rear. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.......Jerry

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Another question on Lowering
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 10:26:25 PM »
My flip kit came with the extenders. Which one did you get? The front shocks are much fatter. Drop shocks aren't that expensive.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline JBerryhill

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 07:16:33 AM »
I got the drop spindles from Summit and the flip fit from Ebay, I didn't realize I needed shock extenders until after I had won it.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 12:36:19 PM »
get extenders if you dont want drop shocks.  dont put fronts on the rear.

Offline JBerryhill

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 04:18:15 PM »
Thanks guys, I just ordered the extenders from Summit, boy those are expensive for what they are (73.00) I plan to do my conversion tomorrow. I went ahead and bought all new rotors, calipers, pads, bearings and brake lines. Advance Auto gave me a 20% discount and I wound up paying around 125.00 for all of it. I hope this goes smoothly, but I have my grinder and torch standing by.  ;D

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 06:24:46 PM »
Why not return your flip kit and get one with the extenders? Save some moola
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline JBerryhill

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 09:45:04 PM »
OK, got'er done. Man was that a job, I think I used all my tools in my shop. Everything was going smooth, I had already flipped the rear and had the drivers side spindle on and I was moving to the passenger side. The steering arm came loose with no problem, 1 hammer hit and it was loose, upper ball joint came loose with the air hammer, but the bottom ball joint wouldn't budge, I tried everything I was hitting it with a hammer while my buddy was working the air hammer...........we worked for 1-1/2 hours on it. I decided to take a break and while I ate a sandwich I sprayed it with PB Blaster and let it sit an hour. One hit with the big hammer and it dropped loose.  I still need to get my new brake lines on and bled and drive it a few days and see if the front will settle, but right now it is sitting around an inch higher than the back. Thanks for all the help guys........Jerry
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:24:24 AM by JBerryhill »

Offline JBerryhill

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 07:02:24 PM »
I called BellTech and got the measurements for the rear shock BEL8511 for our trucks, then I cross referenced them in the Gabriel catalog and found a shock with the exact measurements. The Gabriel shock is a rear shock for a 1970 Chevy pickup with coil springs on the rear. It has to be with coil springs the shock for the truck with leaf springs is 2 inches longer extended. The best of all they are only 16.00 at AutoZone. This shock will work with a 4 to 6 inch drop and have around 6 1/2 inches of travel. My truck rides great with them on the rear, in fact I'm going back tomorrow and buying the matching shocks for the front.