Author Topic: New member to the family  (Read 2850 times)

Offline bigkountry

• Frequent Member
New member to the family
« on: June 09, 2009, 05:16:31 PM »
Got this little guy on Saturday, momma was hit by a car and he was just sitting there.

He is taking a bottle very good and is getting used to everyone here, just kind of weird to have a deer in the house.  None of the game wardens would take him since they are over-populated here, so we are going to raise him until he is strong enough to leave on his own.

Thought some of you might enjoy the pic.

81 Scottsdale K10 "Under construction"

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: New member to the family
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 05:20:53 PM »
Very cool!  Maybe he'll end up being a pet!
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 69byrd

• Haulin!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 05:40:43 PM »
Thats very cool! It will probably become a pet with yall taking care of it.  My cousin raised a doe fawn and she became a pet.  You would pass and she would be laying on the porch with the dogs, after she was grown she would leave in the fall and come back to his place and have her fawns in a pen at his house.
84 C-10 Stepside       
54 Chevy Truck
Gotta Love Those Stepsides!
http://s493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/69byrd/?start=all

Offline oldyeller

• 81 Chevy 3/4 ton
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 07:24:50 PM »
Very cute.  Kelly would kill me if I brought home a deer, but we don't have very many around here.  He doesn't like it when I bring home baby animals to nurse.  He tells me I am not a rescue ranger.  My problem is I get too attached and can't let them go. 
1981 Chevy 3/4 ton (aka yeller)
2001 Chevy 1/2 ton extended cab lifted with flames
1950 Dodge Wayfarer all original
1951 Chevy truck
6 extended cab square bodies
Just to name a few

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 09:18:27 PM »
my cousin raised a deer like that and his son, who was about 5 at the time, loved that deer.

Offline 80stepsideguy

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 03:56:48 AM »
What a shame to have its momma si there and die while the youngin watches it suffer.But that cool you took it in and gonna raise it well.  I`m sure it`ll be interesting to see what happens when it gets a bit bigger if it stays or goes into the wilderness...

Cool to see this...

thanks
pat
1980 Chevy c10 restomod:  350/700r4 12 bolt 3.73 rearend iris blue metallic
1998 Chevy 1500 S/B 2wd
1970 cougar convertible: triple white 1 of 1
2014 Hyundai Tucson Limited(my daily driver)
2023 Kia Sportage X Pro (her daily driver).
2017 Hyundai Tucson Limited(her everyday driver).

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 05:20:15 AM »
i have a family that ran a animal rescue. it was on a farm so they had lots of room couple fawns lost a leg so there were 2 or 3 fawns just hopping along with 3 legs and then there was Dickie they raised him till he was big enough to let go but he was so used to humans that he would just walk up to them they were scared some strange hunter would see him and not know who he was and shoot him. so they kept him he out in a pin now enjoying life safe on a farm
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bigkountry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 01:02:23 PM »
I kind of have this feeling that when he goes into his first rut, he will be gone. I plan on leaving the gate open once we move him outside when rut season is in just so he can go.

I just wanted to give him a fighting chance and not fall to those dang coyotes we have out here.

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 12:23:35 AM »
Be funny if it grew up into a buck and tried to gore you with it's antlers as some kind of challenge.

Offline low budget

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 08:47:54 AM »
Skunk is on to something there.  We had a guy in the area that raised a few deer on his farm.  They had nice fences around them and he took really good care of them.  He even had a permit so he could have them.  The buck, when it was rut season one year, cornered the guy and gored him to death.  I don't know what happened after that, if they shot it or not.  Bottom line, if it's a buck, be careful!

On the other hand, my parents hand feed a doe every year when the apples come on the trees.  She brings the little one's around, but they won't get to close to my parents.
86 Chevy LWB 305 scrapped for 350, 3/5 drop

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 12:57:57 AM »
Ok on second thought maybe that wouldn't be so funny lol. That was just a joke, but after reading the post above this one, you better let him go as soon as he gets horns.

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 08:43:57 AM »
Raising a wild animal can be a challenge. At some point they hafta get back into their environs so they don't lose their inborn fear of humans and dogs. Maybe you could build a pen so it can be on its own as much as possible. Best of luck with it.   
Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline bigkountry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 09:35:44 PM »
I'm in the process of building it a 20 x 20 pen with access to the brine tank overflow from my well. I have a group of deer that come up and scratch the area for the salt.

When it comes into rut, the gate will be left open so it can leave if it wants to. I've been run by a deer that was in rut. I shot a doe (about 25yds away from stand) and a buck was so crazy for it that he was oblivios to me being there when I got down out of the tree.

I have to be careful especially since I have the little ones here. It is going to be a challenge, but a fun one.