Author Topic: Cracked Frame Repair  (Read 10828 times)

Offline Doms86Shortbed

Cracked Frame Repair
« on: April 16, 2011, 04:13:51 PM »
Hey guys I might have told some of you that i got new rims and tires. Toyo 285/55/r20 directional. TERRIBLE in the rain. in short i lost control and spun and wrapped my truck around a telephone pole/ wire. I know i dont have pictures yet because it was 5-6 hours ago. But i did notice the bed is all jacked up on one side and down on the other. and i saw a crack through the frame right on the inside of the gas tank. Now my budget it very tight because im 17 and im working a part time minimum wage job. Im going to take the bed off when it stops raining. What i want to know is would it even be possible to weld the frame back together and put the frame on a frame jig in a shop and have it brought back to semi-good shape. I looked up a bumper, fender, wheel well,  and the back part of the bed side and It was like 400 ish. I know somebody who will do the body work for really cheap so the body work im not worried about. I know alot of people say if the frame is rusted/ cracked/ bent to just junk the truck but im not going to be drag racing or mudding. just daily driving from school to home to work.  I will post pictures if not today then tommorow.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 12:48:09 PM by Captkaos »

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Cracked Frame Repair
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 04:37:58 PM »
Depends on the condition of the frame as to whether or not to weld it... Safety is the main concern.  
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 12:48:24 PM by Captkaos »
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
Nothing wrong with fixing a frame. If you don't have welding, and metal working skills I would suggest not trying it your self though. You also need a decent welder.
Is it this bad?
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=15328.0
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 05:58:17 PM »
Do yourself a favor and find another truck. Keep this one for parts. Wrapping your truck around a telephone pole won't be easily fixed and I'd hate to see you pump a lot of time and money into something that will never truly be right. The money you will spend to have your frame repaired IF anyone will touch it will not be a good investment.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Doms86Shortbed

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 06:41:50 PM »
Well i could just see the crack through the wheel opening in the rear. I couldnt get a good look at it before it was towed. I'm going to try to post picture up of the bed being warped ON the frame. None of the body mounts seem to have broken so the bed is sitting on the frame. I dont mind driving a primered car but not one with the bed all jacked up on one side. from stuff on the internet if i bring the frame bed off to a place with a frame jig im assuming around 500 dollars to have it brought back into place AFTER i have my friend with moderate welding experience weld it back together and possibly put a donor piece of steel or two on the frame.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 12:49:22 PM by Captkaos »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 07:09:51 PM »
Pix will really help to see how bad it is. If you can fix it right yourself fine but if your frame sheared you must have either had a very weak frame or smacked that thing pretty hard.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 01:22:34 AM »
     I second the need for pics, if you were a welder with fab skills then this would not be impossible for you to tackle.  Frames are not something to let just anybody fix, not only safety but ride quality will suck for ever more if it is not done right and you will hate it.
     Vile had a great point, at some point you have to decide what is financially acceptable for the point in your life you are at.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom