Author Topic: intake manifold  (Read 1663 times)

Offline 76StepSd

• Registered Users
intake manifold
« on: June 14, 2013, 09:27:15 PM »
I have to redo the intake manifold on my truck......i really thought i did a good job the first time but apparently i didnt. I was reading some past posts on this subject and it was mentioned that gray rtv was pretty good. I used orange the last time. Maybe i didnt let it sit long enough or maybe while installing i slid the intake slightly and didnt know it messing up the seal action. I was wondering why i was getting hard starting after a while...i could see a small coolant puddle on one side. If my temp gage was working i would have known it was overheating....that is before i noticed the small coolant puddle....:-)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: intake manifold
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:39:14 PM »
wheres it leaking? most time the rtv is used to seal the front and rear where it mounts to the engine block. other than that if the bolt holes line up and you tightened the bolts right then you have no leaks
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 76StepSd

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 08:07:09 AM »
I went over board with the RTV. i had in more places than i needed. its leaking about 3 bolts back on either side. I re-tightened the bolts for i found them to be not as tight as i though be. Kinda hard to get my torque wrench in there for proper specs but will try another setup.

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 08:23:06 AM »
Use the right stuff on the ends and don't use the end seals. Do not make an RTV sandwich with a gasket. even torque in sequence is required. Use permatex thread sealant on the bolts as well. Read here:

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php/topic,23650.msg197448.html#msg197448
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 11:40:57 PM »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes