Author Topic: 87 chevy no rear brakes, proportioning vavle?  (Read 4956 times)

Offline gmjunky87

87 chevy no rear brakes, proportioning vavle?
« on: June 23, 2006, 08:39:00 PM »
okay, got a problem with my 87 chevy 1/2 ton v10 pickup. i had to hit the brakes hard one day cause some moron was making a fly by night left turn. lost ALL BRAKES. when i investigated after E braking home i found out that i popped the steel RF hose going to the rubber caliper hose.

dad and i replaced that after some struggling with the rust. then found out also mid way along the frame the line going to the rear had broken as well. while replacing that we bumped the LF steel line to the hose for the caliper so we took a fitting, brazed it shut and put in on the proportioning valve so i'd have at least three brakes until we could work on it again.

tried bleeding the rear brakes very little came out and when i pushed the pedal it didn't give at all hence, no rear brakes, we tried reseting the proportioning valve by holding it in while i pumped the brakes, holding it out while i pumped the brakes no luck, so i now have brakes at the LF and the LF only. did the proportioning valve get stuck? need replaced?

we tried to bleed it at the proportioning valve for the rear brakes and nothing came out. we are going to replace the RF steel line in hopes in balances out but if that doesn't work, any suggestions? does anyone wanna buy a 87 half ton? i'm getting sick of working on this thing! replaced the radiator, fuel tank, fuel pump, front brakes and rotors, tranny lines, gas lines, etc etc etc!

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: 87 chevy no rear brakes, proportioning vavle?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 09:55:00 PM »
Did you bleed it at the master? Does it hold pressure? Usually when a line blows and the master over extends the inner seals get damaged but if you determin the master is good replace the combination valve.

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline gmjunky87

valve
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 05:45:00 PM »
yeah we bled it at the master and had pressure. i guess next step would be too replace the one line and if that doesn't work, new combination valve, would you know where i could get one cheap? i'd imagine they are pretty expensive new, haha, this is a 1300 dollar truck! thanks

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: valve
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 03:36:00 PM »
junk yard, ebay, dealer, or auto part store.

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline gmjunky87

valve
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »
alright thanks!

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 03:26:00 PM »

Offline gmjunky87

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 09:03:00 AM »
i'll have to check that out, thanks for the info!

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Combination Valve
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 08:14:00 PM »
If you need a combination valve I have an extra one for an 88 V-10 that is used but good.

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)