Author Topic: Help! 3/5 lowering kit installed and my front end is higher!  (Read 49020 times)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Help! 3/5 lowering kit installed and my front end is higher!
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 07:38:01 AM »
Cut 1.5 coils out of your front springs
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline rockable

• Registered Users
  • Truckin', like the do-dah man.
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 11:31:47 AM »
I put 3" drop spindles on it.  Before, it had cut springs and it bottomed out.  I don't want to go through that again.  1 1/2 sounds like a lot.  I only want to drop it about an inch and I don't want the tires to rub the top of the wells.

I could raise the rear but that's gonna be a lot of work, too.
'86 SWB Silverado

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 11:49:01 AM »
You need 4" with a rear flip kit to make it level, for the majority of kits regardless of how companies label the amount of drop.

You can cut 1/2" coil off the bottom and see how it changes if it isn't enough cut another 1/4 off and work your way down.  I personally would drive it for a day after cutting.  The problem you had before is someone put all the drop in the spring, which is a bad idea.

Offline ont_guy_38

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 11:56:36 AM »
I am going to chime in here with my 2 cents.The truck was definetly lowered all the way around if front springs were cut they obviously were trying to lower it at miminum cost so i,m wondering if they also did the rear the same way (low cost) by moving the spring perches on the frame . If they did then adding your axle flip would then add 5 inches to whatever it was lowered if they did this.Check the rear frame and see if the perches have been moved

Offline 69byrd

• Haulin!
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 02:19:18 PM »
You need 4" with a rear flip kit to make it level, for the majority of kits regardless of how companies label the amount of drop.

You can cut 1/2" coil off the bottom and see how it changes if it isn't enough cut another 1/4 off and work your way down.  I personally would drive it for a day after cutting.  The problem you had before is someone put all the drop in the spring, which is a bad idea.

I agree cut a 1/2 coil off and drive it for a day or two and then go from there. If you need more drop after that just go a little at a time so you dont get more than you want. BTW I think the rear looks good with no gap between the tire and the fender lip. Just get the front down to match ;D
84 C-10 Stepside       
54 Chevy Truck
Gotta Love Those Stepsides!
http://s493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/69byrd/?start=all

Offline rockable

• Registered Users
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 05:50:04 PM »
The rear perches have not been moved.  Before, there were only 2 leaves left in the springs.  I put new, full strength rear leaf springs in.

Who makes a 4" rear flip kit?  That seems questionable.  The kit I have is made of 1/2" flat stock and is crammed right up against the axle housing.  I'm sure I can get a 4" kit that involves changing the original perches.
'86 SWB Silverado

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 05:58:19 PM »
There is no such thing as a 4" flip.  There is only a flip kit.  Generally you get 5-6" depending on the sag of the spring and the leaf pack count.
To get 4" you get a shackle/hanger setup.  If you want it level and you are going to spend money just buy lowering coil springs. it will be cheaper and easier.

Offline rockable

• Registered Users
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 06:08:51 PM »
Won't I have bump stop problems with lowering springs?  What's the difference in that and cutting 1/2 -1 coil off?
'86 SWB Silverado

Offline sgoody43

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 06:52:56 PM »
Her are my 2 cents,   You should have no problems cutting a 1/2 coil out because that will only be about an inch. Just like Captkaos said start with 1/2 coil drive for a day or two and then reevaluate if you want to remove more but only 1/4 at a time.  The way it was lowered before leads me to think that they previous owner hacked 1  1/2 to 2 coil off.  I know this because I cut 1 1/2 and I dropped almost 3 3/4 inches and now I hit the bumps all the time.  Well you already got 3 inches from the spindle so another inch by cutting should be no problem.  Remember rule of thumb is 2 inches for every coil.                      1/2 coil = 1  inch drop

Offline the dan

• Frequent Member
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 09:32:19 PM »
the front fender well is 1 7/8 (if i recall) higher than the rear in any situation, thats just how they are
83 C10 Pro-touring, Forged 408 Stroker LS, Paxton supercharger, T56 magnum, Detroit 9", and horrible paint

Offline 84shortbed

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 11:35:04 PM »
the front fender well is 1 7/8 (if i recall) higher than the rear in any situation, thats just how they are

Thats what I was going to say. Looking at the pictures it does appear that the front is higher but if you follow the bottom of the cab it`s pretty level. the taller cut on the front wheel wells makes it look like it`s sitting higher
Anthony
83 chevy short fleetside
OTR gearjammer

Offline rockable

• Registered Users
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 06:20:56 AM »
I'm thinking I'm gonna chop 1/2 a round off the front springs.  It's the easiest thing to do and I like the way the rear is sitting.  If I get an inch, I think I'm gonna like it. 

I just wish I hadn't paid to get it aligned this week.  Sigh.   :-[

Do you think the tires will rub if I drop it an inch?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 07:26:33 AM by rockable »
'86 SWB Silverado

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 12:51:02 PM »
They shouldn't rub with just an 1" drop.  My 4/6 Didn't rub except on really harsh bumps with 275/60/15's.

Offline rockable

• Registered Users
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 01:14:33 PM »
Thanks, Chris!  I'll get 'er done this weekend, I hope.  I'm really not anxious to redo the rear with a 4" kit.  That's a lot more work.
'86 SWB Silverado

Offline rockable

• Registered Users
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 03:44:12 PM »
Ok.  I cut 3/4 of a coil off and it lowered the front enough that I've got an ever so slight rake at the rocker seam, about 1/4 - 3/8".  For all intents and purposes, it's level.  It has ample front travel and I don't think I'll have any rubbing problems unless I hit the pothole from heck.

Thanks for all the help and moral support. :)
'86 SWB Silverado