Author Topic: axle swap in surburban  (Read 5423 times)

Offline Stowburb

axle swap in surburban
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:27:45 AM »
Hey Guys, I'm new here and would like to get some info.
 I have 2 burbs....1 is an '88 R-20 with a 7.4l and a 4l80e trans, the other is a '91 R-1500 with a 5.7.both 2wd.
I plan on transfering the engine and trans from the '88 into the '91. i see no issues there.
 Now here is my question......I want to build a 1-ton duelie burb, so i will need the front and rear susp. and rear fenders from a 3500 or c-30 pick up. Are the axle(rear) spring perches the same lenth apart on the duelie  as on the burbs?
I have seen pics of this conversion done but never seen it in person. just wondering if i will have to do alot of modifications to the rear axle, or will it be a fairly easy swap?
 Thanks any info into this would be great.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: axle swap in surburban
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 11:00:08 AM »
A Dooley Axle should have the same perches as long as it came from a Dooley, If it came off a Cab/Chassis it will be narrower.

Offline Stowburb

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:22:48 AM »
Cool! so it should be a bolt in  conversion,well all but the big sway bar. but that should be no problem.

Offline fitz

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 12:42:55 PM »
Have you considered running a cab+chassis rear axle so you don't need the fender flares? There is a 80's suburban around here with duallys tucked under The stock rear 1/4's. I've seen it a few times but I haven't been able to get a picture of it yet.

Offline Stowburb

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 01:55:27 PM »
That would be cool, alot of bodywork, but cool! really like the look of the fenders on a Burb, and mine is really in NICE shape so not wanting to cut it up. try to get some pics of if you can, i would love to see that!

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 05:23:09 PM »
That would be cool, but I like the fenders. Even thoughr about building one as a phantom dually. Maybe eventually.
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 08:56:11 PM »
Hey Choptop, let him see the pics from your forum....

http://conversiontrucks.net/Forum/index.php?action=gallery;cat=5

Offline Stowburb

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 09:14:46 AM »
What would be cool is a "Pro street" Burb! with the narrowed rearend with a Big Fat set of Drag tires! and a big blown monster rat motor!
 I've seen a k5 blazer done like that,it was sweet! but never seen a Burb done!
How about that 6 door duelie i posted over on choptops forum? that a wicked truck! I have even contemplated a 6 door, duelie Burb!
 Could probably make some killer money as a limo!!....Hmmmmm........just a thought....